cookies

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by YODA, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hey guys,

What is the best cookie program out there? I've saw this one call cookie cooker http://cookie.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html . Others have also mention cookie muncher? Ne of you guys ever use either of the two programs, and which one did u like better?

btw... i have my cookies disable, inless i need to use them then i turn it on to allow it to the original server.. i find this as a useful practice

YODA

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

YOD@,

I personally prefer Cookie Pal. You Can check it out here:

http://www.kburra.com/

It is very easy and simple to set up and use. I used it on IE for a long time but have switched to Opera and it works great also. It also works with Netscape.

Check out the link above and if you have any questions I will be glad to answer them.

Regards,
    Kent

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

My vote is for CookieCooker because it's capable of sending back disinformation to the likes of doubleclick, and you can easily mark sites such as this one "Trusted". Other solutions blindly delete cookies, which isn't convenient for me.

One problem I'm discovering more and more is that programs such as ZAP, SpyBlocker and numerous others, include cookie handling - so there's a great deal of overlapping functionality - and not all of them will let you turn it off, allowing you to reserve cookie handling by the app of your choice. (Grumble)

4. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

5. root

root Registered Member

Definitely Cookie Pal. Very convenient and easy to use. It asks and you have several options to reply and it remembers your answers.

6. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Hi YODA,

I find CookieWall does everything I need... very easy to use.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/cookie.htm

It allows you to keep the cookies you need for forum logs etc. and you can either set it to delete others every time they arrive or just leave them in the undecided section to be dealt with once in a while. Best of all... its free.

7. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi;

Although it was not a cookie-manager in and of itself, worth mentioning seems to me that 'good-old-ATGuard' enabled (and still does) users to accept/refuse cookies on a site-by-site and domain-by-domain basis. It also allowed the same feature with Java and /or Javascript, allowing users to accept or deny those functions again by site or domain. Parameters could (and still can) then be changed and updated, e.g. if the user changes his mind as regards this or that site, etc.

But here's what I wanted to say here - Among web-browsers, Mozilla DOES allow for a very precise cookie-management.

One is allowed to permit/deny computer access to cookies on a site-by-site basis too, just as with ATGuard.

But Mozilla does more than that, showing impressive capability to really manage installed cookies. Indeed, you can check the cookies present on your system, decide which one to keep or erase depending on your needs and their origin, visualize their characteristics and validity-period, and so on.

Mozilla remembers the user's answers - which can be changed later if one decides to.

In short, rich of its cookie-management enhanced capabilities, Mozilla is much more than 'just' a pretty good browser. No need to add a cookie-management-third-program in Mozilla's case.

But Checkout's comment on CookieCooker seems rather impressive to say the least. Sending disinformation is something even Mozilla is unable to do...

Checkout, do you think this feature is really important, or just funny ? In which case do you think it is most useful ?

Rgds, Crockett :)

8. Raygun

Raygun Registered Member

I use The Proxomitron! It does more then just cookies but here is how I use it and why I like it so much.

I'm the kind of web browser that uses cookies like crazy. I find they make for less typing and help me get what I want on every page. BUT! There are those bad cookies that we all hate, so I set up proxomitron to allow all cookies and changed the cookie file to block by removing the carrot symbol so now I can add the BAD cookies to my file and those get blocked.

I then use system purify to clean out all but a few cookies I save always, and also purge the index.dat files! Bam! dats how I do it and so far it's been really great, not to mention I no longer get any pop up ad windows! Wheeee, that's the best part!!!
    :) (i'm being silly tonight...note to self: get out more, haha)

9. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

http://pages.infinit.net/carbo1/cookies.html

10. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Checkout,

Do you have an active link for CookieCooker. All the links I try just hang. I don't know if it's my security or the link's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.