cookies

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by iii, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iii

iii Registered Member

i learned that cookies track you and show you ads and search result's based on what they collect from your ip address by what you surf on the internet. But what im wondering is say you live with other people and theres 3 people who have there own computers that share the same internet. How can marketing companies know what ads to target on you if 3 people in your house use the same ip address?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

iii, what browser are you using?

If you block 3rd party cookies in your browser, it effectively (99%) stops these cookies from being downloaded.

4. iii

iii Registered Member

im using iron browser. Dont you need cookies enabled to view most sites?

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yup, but there are two types of cookies. "First Party Cookies" and "Third Party Cookies".

The difference is first party cookies are ones you acquire from visiting a website itself, usually you need these for the website to function properly.

But third party cookies do NOT originate from that website, and are quite frequently "tracking" cookies from advertising partners. This is why a lot of people recommend blocking third party cookies in your browser. It is extremely rare for a website to genuinely use third party cookies and my bet is that you will notice no breakage whatsoever.

I believe in the Iron browser the option is called "Restrict how 3rd party cookies are handled" or something along those lines? It's been a while since I've used it.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.