Cookie Wall by AnalogX Question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TomNativeNewYorker, Dec 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomNativeNewYorker

TomNativeNewYorker Registered Member

First off I would like to know if I am doing something wrong here. I am running Win98 SE, with Internet Explorer 5.5. and trying to manage the cookies on my computer. I have tried many of the different cookie management programs including "Cookie Wall by AnalogX". It seems that I am able to select the cookies I can retain on my system, but if cookies accumulate in the new cookie pane, and i select to delete the cookies here the cookies only are removed from this window, but still remain in my "Temporary Internet Files" folder. Am I doing something wrong here or am i limited as to what I can do with my cookies other than going to my temporary internet folder and sorting and selectively deleting the cookies I wish to discard?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Tom,

Doesn't this work:
    Double left click on the CookieWall icon in Systray.
    The CookieWall window comes up.
    In the middle pane you see: "Delete all new cookies from disc".

I do use CookieWall on my W 98 SE, but I also have IEClean and WindowWasher to manage cookies, so I'm not completely sure whether the above mentioned method would work, but I would guess that it will....

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Copy/paste from the Readme:
    [hr]
    CookieWall is very simple to use - just run the program, which resides on your
    system tray (on the lower right of your screen), and it will track all the
    cookies that come into your system. Then, periodically just go into the
    'Add/Delete' menu, browse through the new cookies in your system, and select
    which ones should go as well as which ones can stay - it's that simple! Once
    you've tagged a particular cookie as unwelcomed on your system, CookieWall
    takes care of the rest and deletes it quickly and quietly. If you would
    rather be notified each time a new cookie intrudes on your system, you can
    also enable a pop up notification window which contains the name of the
    offending site, the cookie name and it's contents as well; from here you
    can choose to delete it, keep it, or add it to the new list for categorization
    later.

The 'Add/Delete' dialog is used to specify which cookies should stay, and which
    should go... New cookies are listed in the middle column; these are cookies
    that you have not yet said if they should be automatically deleted or not. You
    may select cookies from the 'New' column by clicking on them - once they are
    selected, you can move them into the delete or keep columns by clicking on the
    '<<<' or '>>>' respectively.

Several options are available via the Configuration menu which can greatly
    improve your experience with CookieWall as well. The 'AutoStart' option is
    used if you would like CookieWall to launch automatically when Windows starts
    up. 'New cookie action' specifies what happens when a new cookie is detected;
    by default the action is 'None', which means it's simply listed in the 'New'
    column in the 'Add/Delete' dialog. You can alternatively set this to 'Delete'
    which means CookieWall will delete any new cookies when they first appear,
    though it will still list them in the 'New' column so you can set it to allow
    them at a later date. Finally, you can set it to 'Prompt' which causes the
    program to ask you what to do each time a new cookie is detected (great for
    power users who like to see everything that's going on). Finally, you can set
    how often new cookies are scanned for - in most cases the default (once per
    minute) is fine, but some people might prefer faster notification.

4. TomNativeNewYorker

I tried that and it removed the cookies from the pane, but they still remained in my temporary internet files folder.
    :doubt:

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

6. TomNativeNewYorker

LOL! I just posted in that thread.

7. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

The remains after you delete are just pointers, the actual cookie data is nuked when you delete it with cookie wall.

To prove this allow a cookie to come in and accept it as temporary.

go to where your cookies are stored, right click on the temp cookie and select copy and copy it to another folder.

it worked right - you were able to copy it because it is there

now go to cookie wall and delete the temporary cookie.

go back to where your cookies are stored and right click on the cookie you just nuked with cookie wall and then try to copy it to another folder...

you will get a message saying: cannot copy the cookie specified, cannot find the specified file.

it didn't work this time because the cookie doesn't exist except as a pointer, the pointers job is to fool most sites which look to see whether their cookies are present on your system

again the stuff left in your temp file after deleting is a pointer only. when you deleted the cookie using cookie wall, you nuked the cookie data...

cookie wall is working properly

you may want to use another piece of software to periodically delete stuff in your temp folder ( i simply set up a shortcut link on my desktop to this temp folder and periodically delete the stuff I don't want)

note: you will want to keep the pointers for the cookies which you delete automatically using cookie wall. again this fools the sites which look for this cookie data on your system.

I'll try to find a link which explains this better...

be back in a few...

sorry couldn't find the link, hope the above helps

8. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Think of those like bookmarks. You double click a bookmark and it points you at the associated site, just like those temp cookies point at real cookies. If the site isn't there anymore, the bookmark is useless. Same for those temp cookies.

9. peakaboo

I found the link finally which talks about the concept of pointers. Mikey explained the concept..., Avenger demonstrated the concept...

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/yabbse/showthread.php?t=602

Mikey said:

Those cookie pointers in the other folders are nothing more than shortcuts. It's like an internet shortcut in your favorites folder. It's not the web site, it just points your browser AT the web site.

Using cookiewall lets the browser tell the web page that it accepted the cookie, even though cookiewall nuked it a few seconds later. That gets past those pages that some arrogant web sites put up that deny access to those who turn cookies off.

----

note from avenger:

Those who want a simple way to prove the remnants of the nuked cookies are simply pointers try the following:

1) find your pointers
    2) using explorer try to copy a CW nuked cookie (pointer) to another file folder or a: diskette
    3) you should see a message saying:

cannot copy "name of the cookie pointer": cannot find the specified file

CookieWall is on task and performing flawlessly...

10. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Actually that was Mike, not Mikey. Not that I'm being picky ;)

11. peakaboo

If you are the referenced Mike, then not picky at all.

Mike or mikey, I think the distinction (exclusive of actual identity of course) is that one begins their pseudonym with a big M and the other begins with a little m.

or am I being too picky? ;)

12. peakaboo

I use a three pronged defense against cookies and am very pleased.

My system appears more stable and I have not had a system crash in quite awhile. When I do have a crash it is usually when I inadvertently am not using Proxomitron.

3 pronged cookie defense follows:

1) I allow 3 cookies from only 2 spots on the internet. Point here is to only allow a cookie from a site if you really need it on an ongoing basis.

I am paranoid enough so that even if I am visiting a secure site for transactions, I will allow these cookies only as temp cookies. Just in case someone figures a way to id this info somehow.

Item three below is essential, as I usually surf using my most secure proxo setting.

All other cookies I encounter are deleted automatically using cookie wall or allowed in as temporary cookies (center cookie wall box) and later deleted using the delete all new cookies button. Note when I delete these temp cookies, I also delete the associated pointer.

I manage my pointers by establishing a shortcut on my desktop to \windows\Temporary Internet Files.

2) I use AdShield. Used correctly, you can eliminate cookies which are dropped automatically via ads. The practical theory which works is if you prevent the ad (by adding to your block list) you prevent the ad cookie where applicable also. It works folks.

3) I also use Proxomitron. I have several configs which I can change on the fly. From my most secure config, here are two filters which will help with cookies:

One of the filters I have checked is the web page filter - Disable JavaScript (and meta) cookies.

Also check the header filter - Cookie: Kill a cookie (out)

Note: with this configuration, you will most likely not be able to post on discussion boards etc. So when you want to post just right click proxo in sys tray and change to lower level security configuration - without the Cookie: Kill a cookie (out) header filter.

good luck :)

13. TomNativeNewYorker

I dont have a problem accepting a cookie to browse a site. I just want an easy way to delete the cookies and pointers while retaining the cookies frome sites like this one. I guess the ideal thing would be to create a folder within the "Temporary Internet Files" and place the cookies i wish to retain in that folder, but apparently that isnt possible. Apparently that isnt possible in the cookie folder either.
    I guess I will just have to keep on purging as I have been doing. o_O

14. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi TomNativeNewYorker,

Have you ever looked at the Internet Sweeper application? With this program you can do what you want with just a couple of clicks(after configuring it properly). Keep the cookies you want and dump the rest, delete temporary internet files, and other things as well, all at one time. The free version(1.84) is available on Wilders.org, check it out and see if this will work for you. HTH.

15. peakaboo

Tom, I think your original question was answered partially, but not directly.

If you decide to use Cookie Wall, here is what I would do:

Since You are using IE 5.5 you are ok in using Cookie Wall since it only works with IE.

1) right click the little cookie wall icon in your sys tray and select configure

2) make sure you have:
    a) auto start enabled and
    b) Monitor IE enabled and
    c) Prompt for new cookie action and
    d) scan for new cookies every 5 seconds (use whatever interval you want - 5 secs works for me).

3) click on OK

When cookie wall detects a New cookie a pop up box will appear - select either

a) the far left button (Always Delete) - this automatically deletes the cookie data and kills the cookie anytime it is encountered in the future. You will have a pointer, but as explained previously this is not the actual cookie data so don't worry about the pointers except to understand how the cookie wall program uses these pointers.

or

b) the far right button (Always Accept) - for the cookies you want to keep

and never (never, never) chose the center button (Temporary Accept).

By never chosing the Temporary accept button you should not have to mess with cookies at all.

as explained previously don't worry about the pointers if you follow the above config. Since you now know how the program works and that it uses the pointers to fool the sites into thinking the cookie data exists on your pc when it really does not.

If this does not work for you, try VIETNAM_VET's suggestion.

16. TomNativeNewYorker

OK, what I have learned so far is the Cookie Wall program isnt the program what I wanted. I found out here in this thread that it leaves 'pointers' in the temporary internet files folders.

What I did want was an easy way to keep certain cookies for sites such as this and others that require you to log on to visit that site, and to be able to delete the cookies I didnt want on my system. To me, leaving a pointer in the folder was the same as leaving a cookie and I didnt want to leave them on the system either. It isnt all about privacy why I want to manage the cookies in this matter.

Whenever there seems to be a performance problem with a computer usually the first remedies are to dump cookies and files in the temp folder. I just want to try to do this management of cookies to help keep my old puter running as efficently as I can.

I downloaded the program Internet Sweeper as per NamVet's suggestion. A quick look and try of the program and I think this is more in line to handle the tasks that I want to do with little work.

Thanks for the help,
    Tom

17. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

That's how Internet Explorer handles cookies:
    You always have the pointers in the Temporary Internet Files Folder, and if you remove those that will take care of the cookies in your Cookies folder as well.

What Cookie Wall does, I assume, is manage cookies, like any other cookie manager, or the IE Privacy tab itself, for that matter.

That is, it allows some cookies to pass through, and in that case they get handled in the usual way by IE.

If you have CW block a cookie, it won't get on your computer, and I'm sure it won't then create a pointer in your Temporary Internet Files folder either.

18. peakaboo

Glad it worked out for you with Internet Sweeper.

Your question gave me the forum to show what I was doing re: the privacy issue (includes cookie handling & other browser privacy issues) and the pc performance issue.

For me the answer is:

cookie wall
    adshield
    proxomitron

Best freeware programs on the net IMO.

If you get a chance, take a peak at the following links:

http://privacy.net/

click on full analysis and see how much info can be pulled.

more tests - you should be able to pass them all:

http://www.pcflank.com/browser_test1.htm

http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1s.htm

http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/

http://www.dslreports.com/scan

Good Luck

after running some of the tests above, if you find privacy is an issue, then I believe it follows that performance is vulnerable also so feel free to check this link out and look for my post on proxo:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4927;start=0

sorry couldn't resist ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.