Cookie Q - Please Advise!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by JemW, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JemW

JemW Registered Member

Using IE6 and Spyware Blaster with everything enabled. I have Privacy still set to Medium, but do I need it there? I had a problem a while ago now with a couple of Job Search sites that complained about my cookie settings so I dropped the guard to LOW. I'm (perhaps naively) assuming that with a LOW setting I don't need to worry because SB will protect me against any truly EVIL cookies!! In fact I did even consider overriding automatic cookie handling and allowing all (including session cookies) in 'Advanced'. Am I actually expecting too much of SB to, in effect, 'take over' the cookie handling / protection from IE - should I really be thinking of it as a 'second line of defence'?

Can someone give me some expert advice based on their knowledge and experience of Internet Privacy issues? What settings would you recommend I settle for?...and...what do you do?

(Not that's it's desperately relevant but I do also use AdMuncher to block ads and that seems to indirectly blocking cookies (I may be wrong here)

Many Thanks in advance,
    Jem

P.S SB does an EXCELLENT job!!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Frankly, I get most of my cookie protection right from IE6's Privacy controls which is actually quite effective. The image below shows my settings.

I've never seen a good reason to allow third-party cookies myself, and since tracking occurs mainly from third-party website references, (i.e. you're on one site and it has objects provided from a third-party like doubleclick, so doubleclick knows you are at the first site when you access their reference, and they get more info if you allow their cookie info to be passed back to them), blocking those is a major step forward.

The basis of these settings are that I get prompted for any cookies from the main sites I visit so I can decide at that time if I want to allow or block, (including always allow or always block options). And I never get any third-party site cookies on my system since those are all blocked. So, site by site I've built-up decisions as to which cookies I'll always allow or block - allowing trusted site cookies and blocking ones I know I don't really need.

I rarely get any cookie warnings in daily web use now since I have a couple hundred of these already answered, done just naturally via normal web use over time, so it works great for me. And when I check my cookie list after a long day of browsing, their are no unknown cookies on my system. I never need to clean any, because none were ever allowed that I didn't want or need for some reason.

Also, with these IE6 settings, SpywareBlaster's spyware cookie list is unneeded on my system, but this is only one way to handle cookies with IE. You could certainly go with SpywareBlaster's list exclusively.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.