cookie managers

Discussion in 'polls' started by notageek, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

What is everyones favorite cookie manager? Mine is Cookiewall so far. :)

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Notageek! I'm still using the tried and true Internet Sweeper v1.8.1. Works fine and I have backup copies in case it gets wasted. I can also recommend Adshield and WebWasher for which I have links. Do you have a link for CookieWall?

AdShield

WebWasher

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Prince,

CookieWall is from AnalogX, that has very nice utilities:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

See also their other pages for other apps.

I use CookieWall as my primary cookie-manager.
    Besides that I use: IEClean, WindowWasher (both also very nice and important on my system) and Ontrack Internet CleanUp 2.

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I used to run Cookie Pal, which I liked a lot.

On upgrading to IE 6.0 I decided to give the Privacy tab a go, though.

I disabled CP, which turned out to increase my System Resources more than I expected (this is on Win98 SE), and configured the Privacy settings to overide automatic cookie handling, to block third party cookies, and to prompt for first party cookies.

This turns out to work like a dream: it works just like a cookie manager, and no cookies gets through unless I want them to.

And it's always nice to be able to eliminate one more program from starting up and eating up resources.

IMHO it's always preferable to let Windows handle things, at least if it can, than to install a third party app thatdoes almost exactly the same thing.

5. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi if ya goin to use the cookei controls in ie ya might wanna go and take a look at this it mabe of intrest to you

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/ie6_privacy_en.html

its a lil file that as far as i can make out fine tunes ya ie 6 cookie setings

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have used CookiePal since 1998. Good schtick

AnalogX does great stuff BUT...
    CookieWall is for IE only.

Grrrrrr :mad:

Me like Opera 6.05 [ver 7 coming soon :D]

7. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Cookie Wall. Better to accept the cookie, then nuke it a split second later.

8. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

I use the one paul thought me lol no cookies lol

9. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hi..... umm cookie cooker looks cool, Cookie Cooker. But again, like Mr. Blaze said no cookies is a good practice, and just accepting when need to log on to accounts.

YODA

10. Judgedredd

Judgedredd Guest

AdSubtract Pro

Cookies/Ads/Pop-ups/ and a few more nice little features. I only three cookies in may browser cache. Those are the ones i allow.

I have tried tweaking IE's cookie settings and but i hate playing with Trusted and Restricted Sites settings. I dislike the prompts to allow or disallow cookies. Nothing more anoying than application popping up prompts all the time.

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

One more vote for Cookie Pal :)
    It does exactly what I want it to do, in more then one browser.

Regards,

Pieter

12. discogail

discogail Security Expert

13. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I totally agree with Pieter, so here is another vote for Cookie Pal. It does everything thing I need and as Pieter mentions, works with numerous browsers.

Another great feature is you can configure Cookie Pal to work with just about any app that uses cookies (More apps than you think use cookies :D !!!).

http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html is the link if anyone wants to check it out....

Regards,
    Kent

14. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

i did use adsubtract free but it caused a problem with sb 4.75 so i dumped it but that did what i needed blocked all cookies pluss loads of other garbages except what i said was ok like if i needed to log in to hot mail windows update of online banking other than them 3 i blocekd everything eles

anyone know of a small resuarse lite app that will let me do what i could do with adsubtract ?

15. Geeske

Geeske Registered Member

Sorry, a little late but i also use Cookies Manager, and it's a great peace of software, simple and freeware. Glad to see i'm not the only one!

16. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Guest

Tony K amd MrBlase are on the money. Cookie Managers are virtually useless these days. Sure they help with SOME cookies but not ALL cookies. Best bet is to just never accept cookies. Cookies are NOT needed.....any website that tells you that cookies MUST be enabled imo are highly suspect

17. Jellyroll

Jellyroll Guest

One of the main reasons I like this forum and visit here is because it does not demand the use of stored cookies. A person is given time to visit and meet people an given the choice to register. ALL security forums should be so kind as to give visitors that sort of respect

18. controler

controler Guest

Enable Cookies Help

Your Web browser options are currently set to disable cookies. To use .NET Passport, you must enable cookies.

.NET Passport stores cookies (small text files) on your computer that let you sign in to .NET Passport participating sites. For information about how to enable cookies, see the online help for your Web browser

"try posting here @ WIlders without allowing any cookies and see what happens"

19. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Munching cookies here with Opera :D
    Cookie Muncher
    http://www.bigwig.net/softwaredesign/free.htm
    works with Opera, Netscape, Ie, munches also ICQ cookies
    I suggest to take a look at this site too

-Ari

20. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Mozilla 1.2 and Phoenix 0.5 do a great job of managing my cookies. I guess kind of like the IE 6.0 privacy tab.

Douglas

21. sk

sk Registered Member

I'll second that. Although the other member who lamented the fact that cookie Wall is only for IE made a good point as well. I've used Cookie Wall since back when I ran 98SE and use it with my current W2K OS. I also use AdShield and even though I'd love to get the f*ck away from MS as much as possible, I have not yet found a better combination than IE 5.5 and AdShield and Cookie Wall. It took me a while to appreciate the subtlety of the "Monitor/Prompt/Accept/Nuke" capacity of Cookie Wall, but now I laugh when I see even Mozilla's cookie configuration compared to Cookie Wall's. Also, I tried some other programs but none of them had the low resource use that I've found with C.W. Again, just my two cents; your mileage may vary.

sk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.