Cookie management?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ejr, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I would like to set up IE7 to block all cookies other than the one's I specify to keep. But I can't seem to figure out how to do that.

If IE7 doesn't have this option, I am considering one of 2 $15 programs that do this:

1. Cookie Pal or
    2. Cokie Manager by Paraben

Any thoughts and or suggestions?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've used Cookie Pal for a long time. I personally like the program and it works with IE7.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It is surprizing that IE 7 has no such builtin function while FF and Opera have it.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I block all cookies in IE except allowed. To do this for Internet Zone only: Privacy - Advanced.

If you want the same setting for all zones, it has to be done via registry as most IE´s settings.
    Code:
    {AEBA21FA-782A-4A90-978D-B72164C80120} - First-party Cookies
    {A8A88C49-5EB2-4990-A1A2-0876022C854F} - Third-part Cookies

0 = My Computer | 1 = Local Intranet | 2 = Trusted Sites | 3 = Internet | 4 = Restricted Sites:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]
    "{AEBA21FA-782A-4A90-978D-B72164C80120}"=hex:1a,37,61,59,23,52,35,0c,7a,5f,20,17,2f,1e,1a,19,0e,2b,01,73,13,37,13,12,14,1a,15,39
    "{A8A88C49-5EB2-4990-A1A2-0876022C854F}"=hex:1a,37,61,59,23,52,35,0c,7a,5f,20,17,2f,1e,1a,19,0e,2b,01,73,13,37,13,12,14,1a,15,39

When you enter a webpage, IE will show all blocked cookies in an icon, when you double click on it, you can choose, if you want to allow cookies. However this settings will cause, that if you would like to enter list of allowed cookies you will have to put the slider down, then you can enter Sites exceptions to remove or to add webpages and when you exit you will just set up IE to block all cookies again.

I set my reg file, which merges at startup, to remove all cookies exceptions, so I add them manually.
    Code:
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History\wilderssecurity.com]
    ""=dword:00000001

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

M$ should be more interested in the competition and collect all the good things of browsers in their internet explorer.

6. ErikAlbert

CCleaner is also very good in cookies. Tell CCleaner which cookies you want to keep, all the rest is removed when you run CCleaner or run it at reboot automatically.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

How to run it at reboot automatically.

8. TairikuOkami

Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "CCleaner"="C:\\Program Files\\CCleaner\\ccleaner.exe /AUTO"

or you can place it to HKLM, so it will run for all users accounts:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "CCleaner"="C:\\Program Files\\CCleaner\\ccleaner.exe /AUTO"

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, I thought some settings within CCleaner. I am not expert enough to play with registry, but I will try.

10. TairikuOkami

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. I did saw it but I thought it means Open CCleaner at start up! Am I right?

12. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Question for ya: are there any advantages of using Cookie pal versus setting IE to block all cookies then adding websites to your sites list? I didn't know how to do this until Tom pointed this out to me in this thread.

13. ErikAlbert

No it runs and cleans the cookies of your default browser. CCleaner is freeware and it's easy to test this. If you don't have any favorite cookies defined in CCleaner, CCleaner will remove all your cookies during the next reboot OR on-demand. I don't know for sure, if CCleaner cleans your cookies of your second browser as well, but again this is easy to test, if you are not too lazy. :D

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. As I see in the settings it has cookie clearing for IE, FF and Opera so I don,t know why u think it will clean only default browser cookies.

15. ErikAlbert

Simply because I never tested this.
    Only my IE has cookies, while I don't accept any cookies in FF. So I didn't need to verify FF, because there is nothing to remove by CCleaner.

Maybe you accept things easier than me, but I like to verify things myself, when I need it. If I ever accept cookies in FF, I want to be sure they are removed, no matter what CCleaner or any member says.
    In other words, never trust software or anybody, verify it yourself first. :)

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are right. My Opera and FF remove cookies on closing them, and they do remove. IE cookies cleaned by CCleaner, I hardly ever use IE though.
    BTW I take cookies as harmless though a privacy irritant.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

In my case, it simplifies dealing with cookies when using IE. :)

Screenshots

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have found Karen's Cookie Viewer very useful for IE7 (Vista) cookies. I could not find all cookies as they are stored under various profiles with Vista o_O CCleaner couldn't find them for me either. As soon as I installed the viewer I found the ones I didn't want and used the viewer to delete.

I found setting Opera's cookie options a little more complex but with Firefox I allow some session if I have to and also clean them out regularly only leaving the ones I really need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.