Cookie Crusher OK along with spywareblster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Cookie Crusher OK?, Jan 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is Spywareblaster compatible with and can be run at the same time at Cookie Crusher?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Generally speaking, SpywareBlaster isn't incompatible with much of anything, programatically speaking. So, it is safe to install on most systems...

But, if a person is already managing cookies with some other tool, it is a simple matter to set SpywareBlaster to not handle cookies at all. In this case, SpywareBlaster will only protect against its list of spyware ActiveX controls and not touch cookies.

If you've never used SpywareBlaster before, then install it. Run it and immediately use the "Settings" button > and check the option "Do not show spyware/tracking cookies on the protection list." Then restart SpywareBlaster (not really necessary, but you'll get a clean view of the protection items this way) and scroll through the list and you'll see there are no cookies listed.

Now at this point you can "Check for Updates" to get the latest database, and when that is done, hit the "Select All" button and the "Protect Against Checked Items!" button. Set up this way, SpywareBlaster will only protect against the spyware ActiveX items. This setting remains enforce until you specifically uncheck it.

If you are a past user of SpywareBlaster you can simply remove all protections, then change the Setting on cookies, then select all again and protect... This will leave you with only ActiveX settings protected and cookie controls removed.

3. larrys

larrys Registered Member

I appreciate your info, especially knowing your fingers must be nearly frozen (or are you typing with gloves on?).
    I'll follow your advice right away.
    Earl Semones, Palm Springs, CA

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi larrys,

Yes, it is a little cool here. :D

Let us know if you have any problems with the above.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, LWM -- with all respect to everyone involved with SB (and of course to the product itself), for my money nothing can touch Cookie Pal for efficiency and user-friendliness. It doesn't get along well with IE-6's new (to MS) cookie handling, but that's apparently due to glitches in IE which the guys at Kookaburra are playing with work-arounds for.

So I've dropped back to using SB for just Active-X protection, which is after all its most important feature. I've never yet heard of cookies doing any "damage" other than tons of spam, but of course Active-X controls can do real damage in the wrong hands.

Best,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.