Convince me!

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Vietnam Vet, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi,

I can understand the need for a program like Cryptosuite for a lot of people, but I just can't see why I personally would need it. I have installed it twice now and then immediately uninstalled it again after taking a look at it. Since the possibility exists that I just can't see the forest for the trees :doubt:, I am asking someone to convince me that I am overlooking the obvious and persuade me that I do after all have a burning need for this application. It says in the help manual that if you don't care about your privacy that you do not need this app. Since that is the exact opposite of the way that I feel, it would seem that I must have a need. So here's your chance, show me the light! :)

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Have you ever looked through the eyes of a script-kiddy :D
    Or has your computer ever been stolen?
    Dolf

3. Vietnam Vet

Hi Dollefie,

Was kinda hoping all of these security apps I have been bogging 98SE down with would maybe keep those script kiddies from looking through my eyes! :rolleyes: If they do get into the vault, they will find that anything in there could have been kept in a cracked piggy bank. :D

No, never had a computer stolen, but I would like to extend you a personal invitation to drop by and sit down in front of this machine and point out anything that will change my world if you see it. This is said not as a joke, but with all sincerity. :)

4. DolfTraanberg

actually, I have no use for CS either :'(, but I do understand that others have

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The very accurate data encryption and decryption, of course we don't just look at scriptkids and other intruders, all those eyes we don't like on our data, the several tools like the secure messaging system, the many abilities to check the integrity of files, several future extras in next versions, --- it isn't just to make it even more interesting the program needs extra export licenses and so on.
    I'm not here to convince it is just think a bit further if you lookwhat's going on in the world and internet as a whole, the discussions, the laws and acts, and you're happy to hape the program at hand.

6. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Here are a couple of fact-packed sources to get you started. You might want to learn more about encryption before you jump into an app. Encryption Tutorial and Snake Oil Warning Signs: Encryption Software to Avoid can help you.

Whether I use payware or freeware products, I always investigate them and learn as much as I can before using them. Too often, flying by the seat of the pants can end in disappointment and frustration. Never been in a hurry. You'll get there quicker that way. ;)

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Why CS is different? Oh and don't forget the secure deletion and the very high encryption keys.
    I just read about the vulnerabilities in a highly used enterprised version of a remote tool (for the companies and users safety not naming it nor what's wrong) so another reason to keep all from unauthorised eyes.

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Well the helpfile covers some reasons why you may need CryptoSuite. Here are some :-

* Sending files over insecure networks
    * Keeping files and information safe if your computer is even taken/stolen.
    * Having secure conversations over insecure networks (with the planned drawing board and other features to be added here soon)
    * Deleting files so undelete utilities cannot recover them
    * Checksumming files

Some of the above can be done with free utilities usually at a loss to security and user-friendlyness.

A lot of people either don't care or don't want to have information about them kept private, and for people like that there is no need to have any sort of privacy protection programs like CryptoSuite. If you do care then you must realize that information you store on your computer, send over the internet, etc can be and will be read by someone at some stage. I know personally I have a lot of information on my computers that I wouldn't want anyone but a few people to see. I use CryptoSuite to encrypt all the important documents I work on and send through email and over other untrusted networks.

When you bring trojans,rootkits and operating system vulnerabilities into the equation, your computer no longer seems that secure, and for the most part it isn't. All it takes is someone with enough knowledge and determination and all that information which is stored on your hard drive is up for grabs. Just imagine if Valve Software (the people who made the famous Half Life game) had in place a system which kept all their information encrypted. Even with an operating system/application vulnerability your data is secure, from everyone.

CryptoSuite does not stop people wanting to steal your data, all it does is protect your data when it is stolen, whether the stealing occurs physically or over a network. With CryptoSuite's DUAL cipher usage (both Rijndael and Twofish) you are protected by two well known and trusted algorithms, I don't know of many/any other programs which have that level of protection.

A lot of people might think that they don't have valuable information that anyone would steal, but there is a lot of things that every normal user would store on their computer that should not be available to thieves. From credit card information, bank login details, personal letters, etc. All which can be used to damage you whether financially, emotionally or socially.

CryptoSuite will also change and be updated regularly, unlike a lot of other cryptography/privacy related programs which havn't changed in many years. I also would like to think having a forum here where you can discuss what you want in CryptoSuite publically and various other things related to privacy is a step in the right direction.

-Jason-

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Not sure if I can convince anyone of their own particular security needs. Personally I like the ability to easily protect my password data, banking details etc.
    The chat is one of my favourite features, discussing details of work with colleagues etc completely confidentially, without ANY other agency being able to siphon off information.

What I am looking forward to is the proposed (next update?) encrypted email addin, white board facility, creating an encrypted file executable + encrypted file sharing in the not too distant future.

10. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I might just add, thanks to Prince_Serendip for reminding me about those particular links. They are helpful and I will try and get them in the next CryptoSuite helpfile.

-Jason-

11. Shelb

Shelb Registered Member

VIETNAM_VET,
    Hi. I used to take the same approach concerning data theft.....i.e. if I don't place any information on my pc, then there is nothing to steal. Granted there is stuff on the computer that I wouldn't like stolen, but nothing, if stolen, that would be life altering like credit card numbers or naked pictures :D This was an especially crucial strategy since I undoubtedly have loopholes in my security. I have many of the applications listed in these forums, but I am not an expert and I am sure there are vulnerabilities on my computer I have missed.

However, Cryptosuite offers me the conveinance to store such things on my computer now. I can now sleep a little more soundly and not worry about placing things like credit info, bank data, tax returns, password lists, confidential documents, or anything I am generally paranoid about on a CD or floppy to prevent their theft. Plus its a lot easier to access instead of digging out the CD or floppy. In essece it makes life a little easier and allows me to sleep a little better.....any program that helps me eficiently in these to ways gets my vote.

Additionaly, once I committed myself to using a crypto program, I checked out some other options as well. Cryptosuite offers better security and more features than their competitors. It also comes from a company I trust. Plus were else can customers participate in an open dialogue with the author of the program concerning troubleshooting or things they'd like added to the program?

12. Vietnam Vet

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and let me say real quick that I do not need any convincing as to the effectiveness or the usefulness of Cryptosuite for its intended purpose. :eek: I have the highest regard for Jason and, indeed, the entire DCS crew. Don't think for one minute that my reluctance in this matter has anything to do with doubts about the product or the people involved. As far as support is concerned, Jason worked with me to find the problem I was experiencing with Port Explorer, and Jooske has been there for me on several occasions. I use TDS-3 and Port Explorer, and will purchase Wormguard as well if the new version solves the minor issues I had with the present version. My only doubts are concerning my need for this application.

I am the only user of this computer, but that is irrelevant because there is nothing on this computer that I can think of that I would not want even a complete stranger to see. I hesitate to use the word never because never is a very long time. But, I do not now or ever intend to use any online banking, nor is there any financial information or personal info stored on this machine. Even with Cryptosuite installed, that wouldn't change simply because there is no need to store that kind of info on this machine.

I do not have any instant messaging applications, nor are there any plans to add one. It has probably been a couple of years since I personally sent an e-mail. No address book in use. The only e-mails I normally receive are notifications of replies to a topic. Hey, I don't even get spam! :D

The only files that I send anywhere that come to mind are the avatars that I use at these boards.
    Why would I need secure deletion if I don't have anything that I am worried about you seeing in the first place?

Let me tell you who I am. I never owned a computer until about 5 years ago. Why? No way I could justify the expense for something that I had no need for in the first place. That has not changed today. My computer is nothing more than a hobby. 99% of the time I am online is spent at boards just like this one. This machine is not used for any kind of work. It is for enjoyment and there is nothing sensitive in nature about its data. During the week, this computer will only be turned on about 8 to 10 hours under normal circumstances, with heavy usage occurring on the weekends. Living on borrowed time with the 98SE system. If I had to give you a yes or no answer concerning another computer in the future, well it would have to be no. I own and use the current computer because I want to, not because I need to.

Now having said all of the above, on the other side of the coin is the issue about passwords. I use Keywallet to store my passwords. The passwords in there are for the 6 bulletin boards that I am a member of. Worst case scenario, what could someone do if they got these passwords? Spam the boards, flame posts, general troublemaking while using my account? I have been a member at the boards in question for long enough that a little detective work would show that is totally out of character for me. Many of you post more in one week than my total amount. If an issue like that were to arise and it could not be resolved to everyone’s satisfaction, then close the account. :'( By the way, the passwords to Keywallet and to my internet account are in my head. I have not given them to another living soul, they are not on paper, and have not knowingly been stored on this computer. If in fact, they are stored in an unknown location by Windows, well, I couldn't encrypt what I don't know exists. :(

There is also the matter of the keyfiles for TDS-3 and Port Explorer, but honestly, those 2 files are the only ones I can think of. This is what my original post was really about. What kind of things need to be encrypted other than the personal stuff already touched on in this discussion? My primary concern with security has been focused with keeping anyone from damaging this system or using my system to harm or annoy others.

Ignoring the sensitive, personal data side of this, if the defenses in place are breached, will encryption be of any use, and if so what kind of things need to be encrypted to make it so? That is the kind of information I am enquiring about. My position on this matter is based on my perceived need for the product. This is not set in stone. If my perception changes, I will purchase THIS product. ;)

Again, thank you for your replies.

13. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Any information which can be used in a negative way against you should ideally be protected. If you are going to keep keyfiles somewhere other than your product directories, then should be stored somewhere safe, either encrypted or maybe on an offsite CD or something along those lines.

Most people that use computers these days store a lot of personal information on them that should be kept secret, but on the other hand there are people like you who use computers mainly for non-personal reasons and hence don't really have much personal information stored on them. When you feel like you need to protect information on your PC then CryptoSuite may be a good option for you. :)

It is up to each person to decide if they need privacy protection. I am not into recommending products for people who don't need them but privacy protection is one area which is really up to the end user to decide if they need or not. We are not going say to you that you need CryptoSuite or try and convince you that you do. I can maybe try and convince you about the benefits of CryptoSuite over other products, but convincing people they need any sort of privacy protection in the first place is not somewhere we/I wish to tread. :)

-Jason-

14. Vietnam Vet

You won't have to worry about that. If the need arises for an encryption product on this machine, I know where you work and will be knocking on your door. ;)

15. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Well, you can encrypt everything REALLY important now if you like, the demo version will allow you to decrypt those forever ? :)

16. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Actually, while I do have some information on this computer that I should protect (on an old comp, i had my malware archives in a pgp-disk so the scanners wouldn't jump at the nasties all the time), I am not (yet) using CS for that. It would take some effort and thought on how and which files exactly should be approached and I simply don't get to do it...

What I do use and love CS for, OTOH, is its Chat feature. This is something in-between an instant messaging app and IRC. You set this up to meet people and talk with them only on specific appointments you make with them. It's secure, but it's also something that might better fit your fun/hobby perspective on the computer/ing. In my experience, once you have this at hand, the subjects you want to discuss in such a chat session almost produce themselves. Definitely something to check out with the trial version (PM any of the usual DCS family suspects (me included) to make an appointment where/when/how to test it.)

Have fun,
    Andreas

17. DolfTraanberg

When is the next "meeting" ?

18. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Dolf, When do you want one :) IM or email me ;)

19. DolfTraanberg

Thanks I will, but for now I am going home (worked all night). :eek:
    (at home no computer, no Internet) :)
    Dolf

20. DolfTraanberg

It is a pity, I can't get my boss into CS right now, otherwise I would have set up a public chat server :'(
    Dolf

21. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I might end up writing a LINUX server to give to a few people for public servers. It is quite hard to find a Windows server these days, at least the people I know don't have one. :)

I am still investigating the public chat server though regardless. I will try and find a solution soon.

-Jason-

22. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

YESSS! YEESSS!

Me, too, gotta have, me toooooo. (altho i don't have a static IP)
    and while you're at it, make a client as well :eek: :D

Thanks for anything anyway,
    Andreas

23. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Since Cs is so light in resources, would a normal pc with a normal windows version not do for some 30 chatters?
    I'm sure several people would have an older not much used pc they could try to get shared or something what is necessary for this goal?
    Good exercise to enhance our LANs :)
    So the knoppix cd-rom i got some time ago but never installed for not messing up my current still working system might not be all wasted if that would be suitable for this goal?

24. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hard to say.. since the encryption used may use up some CPU, probably not that much. We will have to do some large-user stress testing soon I think. :)

-Jason-

25. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jason you can have access to my PC2 using Server 2003 if it will help :) It can be left on 24/7 if needs be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.