convince me

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GroomLake, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

Please convince me to upgrade to TI 10.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Does it support your operating system ? Or have you moved on ?

Xpilot

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi GroomLake I see a few threads started by you. Some I admit, I wonder if they are done "tongue in cheek" or not.
    I would never try to convince anyone to "update" to a new version, if the old version is doing all they need. The only reason I would ever upgrade is for the support of newer drives etc. I have seen threads started in this forum where people have upgraded to a new version and had troubles, when older versions had been working fine for them.
    Take note people using WIN98, TI 10 is not compatible with WIN98. ( Although I am told the rescue disk should work)

4. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

I'd second that thought.

I've got ATI Version 8. It works, I trust it now and for the purposes of my back-up strategy at this moment in time I have no need for the additional features of later versions.

That may well change and when it does I will investigate the options.

That's my 2 pennies worth

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

In another post, you note that you're running Win 98/SE. As noted above and at the Acronis site, the system requirements do not list this OS level. Is there any need to convince? Do you have additional systems? If so, it would be both useful and courteous to provide a bit of background and context up front to anyone spending the time to provide you with feedback.

Blue

6. GroomLake

70 million WIN98/WIN99/SE users around the world and TI 10 is not supported. I just confirmed that fact by reading the data sheet on TI 10. I was hoping to have some fun with TI 10.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No different than Ghost. Latest version 10, W2K and XP only and use Ghost 2003 on W98/ME.

Issue isn't how many systems may exist but what are the potential sales. While it may sound harsh, one way to hobble the development of a product and keep costs high is to have it support all the old crappola.

I liked W98/SE and consider it one of the better MS offerings without a doubt but let's face it, it is obsolete and best suited for running in the corner some app or hardware that doesn't like XP. I have just a machine with an old legal size scanner attached to it. If you have a small office and W98 handles your needs nicely then fine but I'll bet you already have a working backup program that you wish to stick with as well.

For modern technology, W98 isn't in the picture anymore.

8. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Sad but true seekforever as a user of WIN98se and using the unofficial "service pack 2" as I saw someone point out to GroomLake in another thread.
    I certainly have to agree with you. I find more and more software that will not support WIN98 or WINME ( oh woe is me!)

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

No need to woe just buy a new computer after Vista has been out for a few months. Then you'll be able to run everything in the future. Keep your old box until it rusts away.

10. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

I wonder where you get that number from? I know many people, but I do not know anyone who is still on Win9x.

11. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Just because you claim (without reference) that there is a large user base it does not have any bearing on whether or not it represents a viable business model.

Win9x and Windows NT are fundamentally different architectures, you are effectively asking Acronis to develop and support two different applications. We all know that Microsoft now no longer support Win98\ME, any development house interested in making a profit will take that as a hint to steer well clear.

F.

12. GroomLake

I will not be dictated by Microsoft to upgrade to Vista so that they can make more profit. I have been reading that they are already working on a new OS to replace Vista. I will be interested in a new motherboard and OS when the hardware supports many of the supervisor calls made to the OS.

13. GroomLake

Supposedly WIN 2000 was the best OS invented by Microsoft. What is your take on this? TI 10 is supported using WIN 2000 at SP 4. I wonder how many of my applications would stop working under WIN 2000.

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Perhaps I am just in a bad mood but I find your meanderings exteremely irritating and nothing at all to do with the objectives of this forum.

Perhaps it is time for you to either get back on topic or move on to some other forum.

Xpilot

15. foghorne

Grow up.

F.

16. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Nobody, not even MS, can tell you what to do but you have to live with the consequences of your decision which for the purposes of this forum means no TI10.

How surprising MS is working on a new OS to replace Vista! Do you think a SW company stays in business by releasing one product and flogging it forever? With your thinking we would still be running CP/M.

17. Old Monk

18. Old Monk

19. foghorne

Sure ,I don't think anyone would upgrade just because of Cleartext - but I didn't say they would. I was talking about the fact that the two platforms are very different. One is nicely architected in concept from the ground up, and supports essential things like Services, a properly layered device driver interface and robust secure filesystems. The other is effectively DOS with a GUI and some 16->32 bit "thunking" bolted on - oh yes and is no longer unsupported by its manufacturer.

Either you get the fact that from a business point of view that it would be folly to develop support and maintain software for the latter, or you don't. That's not my problem. It seems so obvious to me that the last thing I would call it is priceless.

F

20. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Off topic I know, but I can't resist :D

Depends if you paid for it by credit card or not :D

Colin

21. Old Monk

Sorry Foghorne - you missed my point. It was just your 'grow up' one liner and then the stated age of the OP in that thread.

Never mind, forget it. These things are only funny at the time.

22. foghorne

Apologies if I misunderstood your point.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.