Converting from Boot Magic

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by rhg0, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhg0

rhg0 Registered Member

I have been using Partition Magic/Boot Magic but I recently had a problem with Boot Magic and forget about getting any support from Symantac. I have also switched from DriveImage/Ghost to True Image and have been very happy that I did.

I want to switch to using Disk Director for multiple OS's. My question is whether I might run into any problems since I had used Boot Magic and it obviously did 'stuff' to my MBR. I would uninstall Boot Magic but I wonder if I would need to restore my MBR to an original state (perhaps running FIXMBR).

Thanks,

Russ

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. rhg0

rhg0 Registered Member

Just one question about the MBR. Where is it located? I ask because I wonder if I do a TI backup of my C: drive does the MDR get included or does it live outside of any one partition.

Russ

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Russ,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Master Boot Record is a small program that is executed when a computer boots up. Typically, the MBR resides on the first sector of the hard disk. The program begins the boot process by looking up the partition table to determine which partition to use for booting. It then transfers program control to the boot sector of that partition, which continues the boot process.

So when you create an image of the system partition, it doesn't include MBR.

MBR is included into the image when you back up the entire hard drive only.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.