Converted My Partition With PowerQuest Partition Magic 8 Now I Cant Defrag My C;Drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DVD+R, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I wanted a little more system performance to Help with Bootup Speed using Rolllback, and the sugestion was FAT32 partition gave a little better performance system wise than NTFS. I tried formatting with a windows ME Boot Disk,and doing a fdisk and format, but it only created a partition of just over 51GB,and my Hard drive is 160GB :doubt: So I reformatted with my windows pro CD and it created a partition of 149GB with NTFS partition, and then installed windows again, And converted with Partition Magic, before I installed any software. I then ran perfect disk,and tried to defrag my C/Drive, it said to use a Smart Placement Pass, I did this ,and with hardly any space used on my drive, Over 1 hour has passed ,and Perfect Disk is still only showing 8% defragmented :( I tried this method out yesterday with all my software installed, and it took All night and some of the morning over 9 hours to defrag, thats why I decided to see If converting and defragging with only a system base installed would work any quicker at defragging, but apparently Not!.. Another poster had mentioned that their system was running much quicker with Windows on FAT32 and Rollback performed smoothly too, no long bootup times. Have I missed some important points out here? Can I Create and format a FAT32 Partition to the Size of my Drive with a Bootdisk and fdisk which is 160GB? or am I limited in disk size with FAT32? If I cant, then I guess I'll have to convert back to NTFS,so I can defrag again :'(

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi DVD+R

What can I say. I don't think converting for Rollback was a good move. I'd go back and clean up.

Pete

3. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

Re: Converted My Partition With PowerQuest Partition Magic 8 Now I Cant Defrag My C:D

Personally, I'd rather just put up with the increased boot up times than regress to Fat32. I believe I read in their forum, that they are working with this problem with Rollback Rx.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I reformatted again and deleted the lot. Installed Windows xp Pro with NTFS partition, I'm thinking in the long run it was a waste of time trying to get it too work. I hope they do fix this problem at Rollback Rx Pro, I paid nearly $80 for it,and I dont like slowdowns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.