convert to thunderbird....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vhick, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vhick

vhick Registered Member

im a outlook express 6 user i i want to use thunderbird.

my question:
    how to backup all settings (account, filter rules, etc.)? is there a software to do this (free as much as possible)?

i read that thunderbird have a built-in spam protection. but i want a additional protection so is there a anti-spam software for thunderbird (also free)?

thank you very much!;)

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Thunderbird should be able to use all your existing settings, account info/setup & your collection of mail addresses once you install it.

3. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

4. vhick

vhick Registered Member

after importing the settings through OE, i want to backup the all the settings to other medium like d:, cd/dvd, etc. is there a free software that can do this?

and also a free very good anti-spam for thunderbird;)

thanks!...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  5. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

Hi vhick,

You see that importing address books, mail & settings is a fairly automated process. However I don't think that 'settings' stretches as far as filters/rules. It's more about server settings, passwords etc.
    Bug 166842

So I Think with Thunderbird you have to start from the beginning with those.

Backing up and exporting most of Thunderbirds settings to external media such as cd's is is free and easy with this utility:- MozBackup

Yet again - not filters I think - there is an extension that some have had success exporting filters with, here's the link:-
    Thunderbird Message Filter Import/Export apparently mileage varies, I've never used it so I don't know how useful it is.

6. vhick

vhick Registered Member

thanks sir for the extension. i try if its work....

7. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

With MozBackup - if you want to specify a particular location to send the back-ups to ...... edit the backup.ini file in the Program Folder.

It's an easy text based edit - quite easy to follow. Once you've opened the file look for this:-

; backupdir: You can specify directory where backups will be stored
    ; (for Firefox, Thunderbird and Mozilla Suite)
    ; Example: backupdir = C:\Mozilla\Backup

backupdir=

Just place the appropriate file path after backupdir= - as shown in the example.

Otherwise accept the default location (My Documents folder) and once it's on your harddrive - just copy & transfer as you would any other file.

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

i expect that you will have to manually redo the filters.

9. vhick

vhick Registered Member

if no solution for backup the word filters, i do it manually. and i want a additional protection because some new spam is smart enough so word filters is not enough. so i want an additional antispam for thunderbird...

thanks sir!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.