Controlcenter not starting?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by duijv023, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duijv023

duijv023 Registered Member

Hi there

I've seen something weird.
    On a New PC (intel D955XBK; RAID-1; P4-3,0; 1 GB RAM) we have installed NOD32 2.5. Works very fine.

After that we installed Winconnect (see also https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133527&highlight=winconnect )
    After installing, the control center doesn't appear anymore although nod32kui.exe is running (was my first check).
    Besides, SOMETIMES the splash screen didn't even disappear from the screen.
    I did some eicar tests and everything NOD related is OK and functioning.
    The computer is newly installed on new HD's so is considered clean, and was never connected to internet unless behind a NAT router or more

I did a simple workaround by putting a shortcut to nod32kui in startup folder, and that works fine and stable.
    But of coarse this is not the right thing to solve this issue.

Any ideas would be fine

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

well, that's strange. A fresh install of NOD32 may solve the problem :)

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Since you say you are using Winconnect I guess that means you have installed onto a server OS and already have IMON disabled? If not, temporarily try with it disabled (grey icon) especially since this is the recomended configuration for a anyway, and see if that solves it.
    Alternatively when I have seen this issue personally it has been because of the way windows tries to start everything at once, and to be more specific a conflict with network components. The easiest and most reliable fix for this issue I have found is to use something like 'Startup Delayer' from r2 Studios to give each component a chance to start each in turn instead of all at once. With this it is actually possible your windows startup can be faster than it was before.

Cheers :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  4. duijv023

Thanks for responding!
    @ OS: no that is not W2k3 server, but just Windows XP PRO sp2. The beauty of WinConnect is, that it does not need W2k(3) server :cool:
    and therefor IMON is not disabeled (see the other thread i've launched some time ago)

@ startup: that is what I was thinking about indeed. After I changed a few things, and put the settings back because they did't change anything, the problem didn't occur anymore at that time. So timings may be critical here.
    I've seen it in two different (but brand new) PC's. I will check that little program you mentioned next time I have to build the configuration again!

Greetings from a warm and sunny Holland

5. NOD32 user

Glad to hear it is working OK for you at the moment. Thanks for posting back to let us know :)

6. NOD32 user

Just be aware that with nothing in place to otherwise prevent it this issue may return at some point due to the nice boot optimisation feature of XP.

Cheers :)

7. duijv023

Yes of course. But for now I will keep things as they are.
    This way, I will be able to see if the problems return with, or without reason, or not at all

Have a nice weekend!

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am unsure of whether this will work because I do not have a similar configuration available to me right now, but you could try moving the NOD32 Control Center program (filename: NOD32KUI.EXE) from executing via the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] key into the %HOMEDRIVE%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ folder.

This may delay execution of the NOD32 Control Center by the operating system long enough so the problem no longer occurs on the computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. duijv023

That is what I did indeed, but thanks for answering

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.