Continuous scanning of "desktop.ini"

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by get_it, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Hello,

I have ESET Smart Security 5.0.95.0 installed on my Win7 x64 machine with no other security product, other than MBAM and Hitman Pro as on demand scanners.

I have noticed that whenever i play an mp3 or m4a file in Windows Media Player, ESET continually scans the file "C:\Users\Public\Music\desktop.ini"

The audio files vary in location not on the desktop and not in the public music folder. Even when files are played from an external hard disk drive the result is the same, a continuous scanning of the "desktop.ini" file. I have attached 2 screen shots with an mp3 playing. As you can see from Windows Media Player the screen was printed ~10sec apart and there is an increase of ~1000 items scanned as indicated by the statistics in ESET.

Is this behaviour normal/by design?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

My initial thought is that Microsoft Windows Media Player is accessing the file, and ESET Smart Security is intercepting that file to perform a scan.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.