Continuous activity

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by OzBoz, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OzBoz

OzBoz Registered Member

I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, but I can't see anywhere more apppropriate.

In the last week or so, I have been experiencing almost continuous activity when connected to the internet (broadband) This activity shows up both in the Zone Alarm and network icons in the system tray. This is happening on all sites even when I know the network should be idle.

The problem I am having, is identifying exactly what is being downloaded, where it's going and why. Is the any way (software/utility) that can help me identify this activity. I have just carried out a complete scan with NOD32/NoAdware/Registry Mechanic/Blacklight and no problems are listed. The only effect that this is having, as far as I can see, is that it's slowing my browsing to a crawl.

I'm using XP SP2, IE7, NOD32, Zone Alarm Pro, NoAdware and CallingID Link Adviser.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated.

Brian

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. OzBoz

OzBoz Registered Member

Thanks Ron,

I have Process Explorer although it doesn't seem to tell me much. It shows plenty of activity on IE but not where it's coming from, what it is and where it's going. (at least as far as I can tell)

Even if I just let the browser sit idle on my ISP's home page, this activity is very evident. I'll keep trying.

Thanks

Brian

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

You could try a packet sniffer like Wireshark, it will tell you exactly what's happening on your network.
    Sysinternals TCPView is similar, although somewhat simplified.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  6. OzBoz

OzBoz Registered Member

Thanks Nick, I'll try wireshark and see what happens.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.