Continued: NOD32 2.0 BETA IS OUT !!!

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by FanJ, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

There seems to be a problem with the original thread called:
    NOD32 2.0 BETA IS OUT !!!

So I have started this new thread where you can post about that topic if you would like.

Please don't use this thread in case you have a bug report.

For bug-reports use the following thread:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5699

2. Thomas39

Thomas39 Registered Member

First off all a great new programm. My first impression was that the Interface looks like AVG.
    Ok a little problem: Incoming email scanning works great, but NO email scanning for OUTGOING messages.
    Where do i set this up. Using TheBat.

Tommy

3. ipje

ipje Registered Member

Oke, the problem with Becky is solved, I didn't configure outlookexpress because I never used it :D. After I did this I perform a complete uninstall/reinstall of the new NOD after that the scanning of e-mail recieved with Becky worked fine and it found the testfile :)
    Sorry about my bad English but I do my best :p

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ladies and Gents,

Please bear in mind this is a Beta Version. This is no Official NOD v2.0 release. Thus, anyone who feels like sort of beta-testing and test driving: that's just fine, but keep in mind you are bound to find bugs.

Those not willing to test drive, are advized to keep their actual version installed as it is, and wait for the official release from v2.0.

regards.

paul

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I just followed Technodrome's instructions on installing the beta.Thanks Technodrome.I am impressed with the new options regarding e-mail protection.The reduction of icons to make NOD more compact is an improvement.I didn't mind having three icons with NOD,but this is cool!This beta looks and runs without any problems on my xp home system so far.The people at eset did a very good job on this beta IMO.If I find a problem or bug,I will post it in the appropriate thread.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Had problems installing, as in it would NOT install on Windows XP-Pro SP1, eventually got it installed in Safe Mode, all works perfect now :D

Have a Question, surely the logical order of options on detection of a virus should be:

Clean, if uncleanable - Delete, if unable to Delete, Quarantine.

This is not what seems to be the order within the settings of Amon, which has the option of "Quarantine before Cleaning".

I would hope to be able to set the new version up so that a client does not have any choices, Nod32 V2 just Cleans, if not Deletes, if not Quarantines, and does NOT give them the option to screw up anything :D

By the way the new version looks REALLY IMPRESSIVE :D

Cheers.

7. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

can anyone give me some hints on Un-istalling this puppy??
    it will not un-istall!! dang weird?? hit un-install and nothing!!
    please someone come up with this answer so i can go back to the origanal!! to much resources 50% on my windows 98se ....dang and i really love the look and action of it!!
    or is there someway to reduce the useageo_O :'( :'(

8. Blackspear

You should be able to uninstall through "Safe Mode", hit F8 when booting up...

Cheers.

9. root

root Registered Member

Hi buddy. If the M$ uninstall programs doesn't work, the next thing I would try would be to install Total Uninstall, use it to reinstall NOD and then run the uninstall in total uninstall.
    Here is a direct download link.
    http://files.webattack.com/files/yuTYHiyoi76iuhljkhjklhuiyy/tun230.zip
    I used it to install and then uninstall NOD version 2.
    The only other thing I can think of is did you have the NOD engine totally shut down when you tried to uninstall? It is unusual that it won't uninstall.
    Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion.
    Possibly try to uninstall in safe mode?
    FWIW, I use Total Uninstall to install ALL my programs now. It fails to totally obliterate everything that gets installed on some programs, but not many.

Ooops, guess I was a little slow. :D

10. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Well i am back to the old version!! and happy as can be, until things are worked out..i'll stay here..to many resources taken away for me at this time!! thank you all for your help and advise

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'm really liking this IMON feature in the beta!Outlook Express works with it enabled.I noticed when I downloaded an e-mail from my main(ISP)mail account that there was a message on the bottom of the page "this message was scanned by NOD32".I have IMON setup to notify on all e-mails.The notification options are cool too.I see that I can be notified on all,infected,or no e-mails.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>.I have IMON setup to notify on all e-mails.

I was all excited about that feature until I realized I had misinterpreted it. I thought it was like certain other av applications which append a message to all outgoing mail that it has been scanned and found clean so that the recipient can rest easy. I thought that is what IMON was doing. I'm disappointed that it DOESN'T do this and wish it did. I thought it would not only say scanned by NOD32, but list the date of the virus definitions on the senders computer and that way the recipient would know that not only was the messsge scanned before sending, but that the sender had current definitions. This feature would have been a GREAT advertisement for Eset!

Instead, what I found, to my surprise, was that email I receive have this cumbersome message on each one. Why? It is of no use to me! I know IMON scanned the mail and I know the date of my last definitions. I turned it off right away and will never use it.

Appending to the outgoing message, I would LOVE and would use that proudly.

13. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Just shows you that it's nearly impossible to please everyone.
    I know i find it a real turn off when i receive an email from someone with a message that their email was scanned by such and such...
    Don't care what they used, i still need need to have my incoming emails scanned by own defenses. Their message is not only useless, but truly annoying.

14. sig

sig Registered Member

I don't see much use to have the "scanned by" notice added to incoming email and wouldn't much care to have it added to outgoing messages. But those who would like it in outgoing messages could always add it as a sig. Wouldn't that have the same effect?

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>Have a Question, surely the logical order of options on detection of a virus should be:

>Clean, if uncleanable - Delete, if unable to Delete, Quarantine.

>This is not what seems to be the order within the settings of Amon, which has the option of "Quarantine before Cleaning".

>I would hope to be able to set the new version up so that a client does not have any choices, Nod32 V2 just Cleans, if not Deletes, if not Quarantines, and does NOT give them the option to screw up anything

I understand your concern about your clients, however, I would NOT want it set up the way you are suggesting. I don't want AMON to do ANYTHING without my permission. I had NAV set up to quarantine first and I missed that in NOD32. I want all viruses quarantined first. Then after studying the situation, I will decide what I want to do. I don't like automatic things. I want full control. It is MY computer...not Amon's. A lot of security conscious folks feel as I do...we've had several discussions on this at DSLR.

16. Blackspear

Sure, Mele20 I understand, but the average user I sell to is exceptional if they know where their data is stored (I try to educated those that want to know), let alone having a program ask them questions or give them options. I come across only 1 in 100 that wants to know about security and defence, and usually this is only after a disaster... :D

Cheers.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just wanted to report that I have successfully uninstalled the beta version and reinstalled the current version.

I had gotten down to 11% resources this evening and I did not have much running! As soon as I closed NOD32, I got back 24% resources for a total of 35%. After reinstalling the current version, I am back to 86% resources after booting instead of 62% which is what I had with the beta version. The beta version uninstalled very easily, in a couple of seconds, using the uninstall button under Eset in my start/programs list. Nothing left behind in the registry or elsewhere except for the install files. Even though I had installed over the current version (because I had assumed NOD would uninstall the current version if needed) I had no problems with uninstalling or reinstalling the current version as I had feared I might.

I LOVED the new version. I hope Eset will fix it quickly so when it is officially released all NOD users can enjoy it rather than just those with W2000 and XP as upgrading the OS is unfeasable for me. I plan to run W98SE for at least another year (and probably until Longhorn is released) when I will then buy a new computer.

Edited to report that I did have one problem with reinstalling the current NOD32. I just opened OE for the first time after reinstalling and, just like what happened when I installed the beta version , OE suddenly dumped several days worth of email on me. All of this email I have already read. These were duplicate messages. Quite a mess to clean up!!! I don't know why NOD is suddenly doing this. I hope it doesn't continue to dump duplicate messages into OE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.