Continual error when creating the Bootable Rescue Media CD?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by grhughes, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grhughes

grhughes Registered Member

Anyone know how to trouble shoot "Error writing CD" when trying to create a Bootable Rescue Media. It has files on it when it errors but I can assume they are all there. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

I've had this issue as well. What worked for me was booting my PC into Safe Mode, and then burning the CD. In Safe Mode, the Acronis software is not competing with other CD tools to write to the disc, thus preventing the error.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello grhughes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As an addition to napoleon's advice I could recommend that you try the following workaround:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the program;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button to close the tray automatically.

If you use Windows XP please uncheck the "Enable Cd recording on this drive" box in the "Recording" tab (to get to this tab please right click on the CD-drive in "My computer" and choose "Properties").

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. grhughes

grhughes Registered Member

4 CD's later and I still get the error. can you guys tell me what's supposed to be on the CD. It appears to be writing files there and only when it's complete does it error.

5. Acronis Support

Hello grhughes,

Some information written to CD cannot be seen in Windows Explorer so it is difficult to find out whether all the files are performed or not.

Have you tried to boot with the CD created? If it doesn't work please do the following:

please download, unpack and install the following file:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/TrueImage8.0_cdlog_s_en.zip (if you use Acronis True Image 8.0 Standard English)

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/TrueImageServer8.0_cdlog_s_en.zip (if you use Acronis True Image Server 8.0 Standard English)

After this please run the program, reproduce the problem and send the cdrecord.log file created in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

I would recommend that you use CD-RW rather than CD-R to prevent wasting.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. dld

dld Registered Member

I'm having problems creating a bootable disk for my desktop computer. I have two Dell computers, a Dell Dimension 2300 desktop on which I have Acronis True Image 8.826 and a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop on which I have ATI 8.764. Both computers have WinXP HE SP2. I created an image of the C: drive of both desktop and laptop on a USB2 Maxtor external HD. I have no difficulty creating a bootable disk on the laptop with ATI 8.764. I can access the image created on the Maxtor. I have not tried restoring the C: drive on my laptop however. Initially I had ATI 8.764 on the desktop. I could create a disk that would boot. If I chose Restore Image, I would get the Restore Image Wizard. I would see a dial: Processing, please wait, and an hourglass. However nothing would happen; the system would just hang there. So I updated to ATI 8.826 on the desktop. Now I can't even burn a bootable disk. I can see ATI repeatedly trying to start the burn process, but the light stays green on my CD-RW drive. Normally when burning a red light starts blinking. After repeated attempts I finally get an error message that the bootable disk could not be created. The bottom line is that I can use ATI with my laptop but not with my desktop.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  7. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Try booting your desktop into Windows Safe Mode (F8 during boot) and then create the 8.0#826 CD.

8. dld

dld Registered Member

I tried that without success.

9. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

1) try using CDRW for now then at least you won't be wasting CDRs everytime...

2) Is the CDRW working normally otherwise?

10. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Seems like there are two possible causes:

1) TI 8.826 is flawed and generally unable to create a Rescue CD.
    2) The desktop PC is flawed and unable to create a Rescue CD with TI 8.826.

Easiest workaround would be to install 8.826 on the laptop, and create the CD there.

11. Acronis Support

Hello dld,

Please download, unpack and install the following file:

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/TrueImage8.0_cdlog_s_en.zip .

After this please run the program, reproduce the problem and send the cdrecord.log file created in the \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord folder to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Irina Shirokova. We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

12. dld

dld Registered Member

I don't have a burner on the laptop. The CD-RW burner on the desktop works normally otherwise. I am not wasting any CDs in all of this because the CD-RW burner has not burned anything, the CD is still blank and reusable.
    As a possible workaround, could I install TI 8.826 on a friend's computer (this year's Dell), burn a bootable TI disk, then uninstall TI, all within the 15-day trial period?

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello dld,

Given your statement in Post #6 "I have no difficulty creating a bootable disk on the laptop with ATI 8.764.", I'm not sure I understand what you are saying o_O.

Yes. The bootable rescue disk isn't machine dependent and I doubt that Acronis will send the hit squad around in this particular case ;).

In the meantime, if you don't have Version 4.3.11.1 (or higher) of Nero's InCD installed on your desktop machine, it might be worth trying the following:

- Open "My Computer", right click on the CD burner and select "Properties".
    - Select the "Recording" tab and uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive". This will disable Windows built-in CD recording function which sometimes can get in the way of other programs (installing the above version of InCD disables this automatically).

Regards

14. dld

dld Registered Member

I'm sorry, that should have read as follows: I have no difficulty using a bootable disk on the laptop with ATI 8.764, the bootable disk having been created on my desktop.

15. Menorcaman

Hi dld,

Thanks for the correction - all makes sense now.

Have you tried reinstalling build 826 onto your destop machine? Before you do though I recommend that you open Windows Task Manager and temporarily stop/end the following three True Image processes:

- TrueImageMonitor.exe
    - schedhlp2.exe
    - schedul2.exe

After reinstalling TI, reboot the computer to restart these processes and then see if you can create the rescue CD.

Regards

16. dld

dld Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman... Got everything working now. Went to my friend's, installed build 826 updated on his computer, burned an ATI bootable disk with no problem, uninstalled build 826, tried the updated boot disk on my desktop, works like a charm. Thanks for the lead!
    So now I have two backup options in case of a disaster. I can use Acronis True Image on either my desktop or my laptop, or I can use Dantz Retrospect Express 6.0.222, which came bundled with my Maxtor USB2 external HD. With Retrospect, in case of a disaster, I insert the Dell WinXP Reinstallation disk (which is bootable) in my CD-ROM, delete all existing partitions, reformat the drive, install WinXP HE, access my backup on the external Maxtor, and proceed with the Retrospect Restore. It is a bit more involved than ATI, but it works.
    I've done it numerous times. Things will be even easier now that I've copied someone else's Dell WinXP Reinstallation disk which includes SP2.

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  17. Menorcaman

Glad you managed to obtain an 826 bootable rescue CD but I'm still intrigued as to why you were unable to create it on your own machine. Did you try either of my proposed possible solutions?

Regards

18. dld

dld Registered Member

I've just tried reinstalling build 826. I get Processing, please wait. Burning the bootable CD-R/CD-RW. After 5 minutes (I know because my monitor is set to turn off after 5 minutes), I still get the little dial turning, the green light on my CD-RW drive is steady green (and not red as it should be when burning), so I hold the power switch down to end all (ctrl-alt-del does nothing).
    As for your second suggestion, I really don't understand under what circumstances these three executables would be showing in Task Manager; certainly not while I'm preparing to attempt the boot disk burn!
    This is the response I've received from tech support:
    This issue has been forwarded to our Development Team. We will let you know the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

19. Menorcaman

After intalling TI those three processes start automatically as soon as you boot into Windows (open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+ Del and you will see them in the "Processes" tab).

Appologies if I didn't make myself clear, but I meant for you to end the three TI processes before you carried out the reinstall.

Regards

20. dld

dld Registered Member

21. Chris Werner

Chris Werner Guest

Just to add to this - I, too was unable to burn the CD on my desktop, but it worked instantly on my tablet.

Chris

22. Acronis Support

Hello dld,

Please send the letter and the cdrecord.log file to support@acronis.com. We will certainly help you with the solution. If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

23. Unhappyuser

Unhappyuser Registered Member

Did you ever solve this problem? I have the same issue and have tried the solutions mentioned without success. I bought TI because the reviews said it was easy to use. So far, I have not found that to be accurate.

24. dld

dld Registered Member

I seemed to have resolved my difficulties in creating a bootable rescue disk. I disconnected my SanDisk ImageMate USB2 card reader. I can't vouch that this was the problem, but I did succeed in creating a bootable disk using my desktop computer. It might be advisable to disconnect any unnecessary USB devices.

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  25. Acronis Support

Hello Unhappyuser,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try to uninstall all your CD burning software temporary and create the CD. Also if you use Windows XP please uncheck the "Enable Cd recording on this drive" box in the "Recording" tab (to get to this tab please right click on the CD-drive in "My computer" and choose "Properties").

If the problem persists please send the cdrecord.log file described above to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.