"Context menu Profile changed" pop-up fixed with next version?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Omen, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omen

Omen Registered Member

Hello all,

I'm a new registered user of NOD32, having broken off my long time association with NAV and performed the install/demo/uninstall dance with several other virus programs.

All-in-all I love NOD32, except for its very annoying "context profile changed" pop-up whenever I right-click and scan a file. Since I tend to do ad-hoc scans quite a bit, this little annoyance is getting more and more on my nerves.

I've read the threads here, and tried installing the shell extension (at the request of Mark from Eset support), but I still get the pop-up. I've since uninstalled everything and I'm back to the plain old NOD32.

What I'm wondering is if this problem will be fixed in the new version. I'm pretty technical, so I don't mind making system changes, but I'll hold off if the fix is right around the corner, so to speak :)

Thanks.

Mike

WinXP Pro SP1 with all fixes
    P4 1.5 GHz
    1 GB RDRAM

2. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Very much agree with the above post. Please say there is a fix for that.

Regards,

Eliot

3. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

I checked with a colleague here at Eset about this little issue.... I don't get this problem on my PC but he does on his! Hmmm..... We're looking into it.....

Bandicoot. ;)

4. norky

norky Guest

I get it on my pc, but not my wife's

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I get that both with regular right click scanning and with advanced heuristics. I too do a lot of that type scanning. I do not use IMON. I ALWAYS save to disk any attachement and then scan using adv. heuristics. I scan any and everything I download this way...no exceptions ...ever. I don't get viruses either because I practice safe computing.

So, this is quite irritating and should be fixed. But I think is not nearly as high on the list of things that need fixing as some others.

6. Omen

Omen Registered Member

Now here is something that I've discovered by clicking and un-clicking NOD32 options ad-nauseum :)

I found that if I uncheck "Use MAPI Interface" under the Setup tab in NOD32, then the "Context menu profile change" pop-up goes away (at least after it appears once).

This process is completely repeatable on my system. If I have "Use MAPI Interface" checked, the profile pop-up appears over and over again, even if I scan the same file each time. However, if I uncheck "Use MAPI Interface", I do get the profile pop-up the first time I scan, but it never comes back again, no matter how many times I scan the file (or any other file)

I am using Outlook 2003, but not with MAPI since I'm not using Exchange. I don't know why that option was checked (I didn't do it), but I'm going to leave it off.

Maybe someone else can confirm what I've found. I've had a few drinks today, but not THAT many :)

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I do believe you have found the solution!! I had MAPI checked. I don't really know what that means so I think it was checked by default as I would not have messed with it since I don't understand it. I unchecked it and I got that popup ONCE. Then I went and scanned a bunch of files using command line adv. heuristics and not ONCE did I get the pop up!!

What does MAPI have to do with Exchange? I am not even using IMON. I'm confused but glad to see that pop up gone.

8. norky

norky Guest

wow, it works! what exactly is MAPI for and am I losing anything by not having it checked?

thanks guys! :) :)

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If you look in the help files all I could find on MAPI is this under NOD32 setup:

System

The System group provides setup of three features:

List all files - Checking the List all files box will affect the contents of the Log file. The Log file will show all the scanned files, even those not infected. Selection of this option should be limited to special cases since it greatly increases the size of the Log file.
    Sound signal - Checking the sound signal box sounds a warning if an infection is detected.
    Use MAPI interface - Enables access to MS Outlook® e-mail files using the MAPI interface.

I recall now about this when I was beta testing NOD32 and I had it disabled and I never got that popup when I did right click scanning. The photo in the help files shows the box checked so I bet it is checked by default and I never paid any attention to it. During beta, MAPI wasn't available even as far as I recall.

So, unless you have MS Outlook and want NOD32 to check those emails, I don't think you are losing anything by unchecking it.

This is such a simple solution. I wonder why Eset never told us to uncheck that.

10. norky

norky Guest

well, i do use outlook..i guess ill have to do a little more research!

11. Omen

Omen Registered Member

NOD32 still happily prevents me from getting a virus in my MS Outlook 2003 email with that MAPI option turned off. I tested NOD32's email functionality by sending myself the Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm and seeing if NOD32 detected it. It did (and I might add that KAV didn't). As I said previously, I use Outlook as a POP3 client, not as MAPI.

I did notice that by unchecking "Use MAPI Interface" I lost "Personal Folders" and "Archive Folders" as available scanning targets in NOD32's Scanning Targets tab. Hmmmmm.

I guess we need a developer to comment on what's going on. I'm just happy that I don't get that blinkin' pop-up anymore :)

12. norky

norky Guest

yeah, i just noticed that i lost my personal folders too.. though i didn't have an archive folder. i'm happy the popup is gone, but hopefuly someone in the know will comment.

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Folders in MS Outlook pst files are accessed via MAPI - if you disable it in NOD32 scanner setup, they will disappear from the list too.

14. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hmm. Imagine that. Kind of weird that KAV didn't grab it, too. :doubt:

15. Omen

Omen Registered Member

Yep. Neither did F-Secure, of which I'm also a registered user (and is built off the KAV engine, if I'm not mistaken). F-Secure support said that they couldn't detect the trojan, since it was in a password protected zip file. So I started looking at other AV programs (using that email as a test), and found an AV program that could - NOD32.

BTW, NAV 2003 can also detect that trojan (I sent it to my wife to see if I could infect her LOL), but I refuse to install NAV on my machine. She can do as she wants (and she usually does :) ).

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, I am sorry to have to report that I scanned an attachment tonite using adv. heuristics command line scanning and I got the darn pop up again! I checked and the MAPI option is still turned off.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

17. Omen

Omen Registered Member

Sorry you got that blasted pop-up again :(

I just checked a few files, and the pop-up is still gone for me. If it matters, I'm not using the NOD32 shell extension, but the normal NOD32 one (but I have heuristics sensitivity set to standard in the context menu profile).

I'm going to dig around in the registry to see if I can see anything. I'm sure others have looked, but I guess it can't hurt to look once more.

18. thedude

thedude Guest

I don't have a question I just had to write in to say thanks a whole lot to Omen who solved that annoying "profile has changed" popup that kept occuring and driving me crazy. Thank you man you rock!

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

How did he solve it? I still have it and I have a beta version. :(

20. thedude

thedude Guest

He suggested turning off the "Use Mapi Interface" in the Scanner setup which worked for me. What beta version are you talking about? I didn't know Nod32 had one.

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Tech support sent me the beta (not the very latest beta version though as this was several weeks ago) because of serious problems I was having and the problem was supposed to be fixed in the beta and is fixed. Not this problem that we are talking about in this thread though. I hope this popup problem is fixed in the public beta that Eset keeps saying is going to be released any day now. The reease will be announced here and will be available on Eset's sites for download.

Turning off the "use MAPI interface" worked for a while for me but then I started getting the popup again and am still getting it with the beta version I have.

22. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmmm ... I installed 2.0.0.9 and did the updates, and I get that popup too. It seems like such an easy fix. Any new ideas, anyone?

23. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmmm ... it seems if MAPI is disabled, but you have an Exchange email account on your system, you still get the popup. If you delete the account, popup is gone. And then, I recreated the account, and the popup was still gone! o_O

Now, I didn't install EMON, and perhaps I should have. Didn't install it since this is a personal laptop I use at work, and I'm not intending to keep using it there.

BTW, is there a way to add EMON AFTER the fact or do I have to totally reinstall?

24. sleepy

sleepy Guest

i have MAPI checked. no popup saying context menu changed.

i didnt installed the context menu of NOD32, only the Advanced Heuristic shell extension.

25. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

EMON (Email MONitor), a complementary resident module, scans e-mails incoming via MAPI interface. MAPI interface is used e.g. in the following e-mail clients: Microsoft Outlook 95, 97, 2000 (not Outlook Express) in the Corporate mode and in MS Exchange. MS Outlook 2002(Office XP) and Outlook 2003 are not suported in the current version of EMON. MAPI interface is used also when receiving e-mails from the Microsoft Exchange Mail Server via the Exchange protocol.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When the MAPI Interface is not used on the computer EMON is not needed and therefore will NOT be installed. The e-mails incoming via the POP3 protocol will be checked by IMON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.