'Contention'?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I'm looking forward to getting broadband at the end of the Month through my present ISP.....(Tesco.net).....but I keep hearing that the system may have 'Contention' problems?.....could some kind person explain to me if that is Good, Bad or Worse......in a way that a three year old can understand please. :D

Cochise, :cool:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks Ron......concise and to the point as usual...This offer by my ISP is a Full 512k speed connection with no time limit cutoffs or download limits!!....Free modem, 2 filters Free and no Connection Fee....Free help desk for the first 30 days.....15 Email addys with Web mail and 50Mb of Webspace....for the price of £19.97 per month.....

What I'm wondering though is, if they say that this is what I'll get for my Subscription and then I find I'm not getting their promise because of everybody and his dog are on line at the same time, then what?.....Must admit though, and why I'am inclined to my ISP, they have been brilliant really in Service and Support, can't say I have ever had a problem with them, soooo, I just wondered if maybe the offer was too good to be true after reading about Contention issues......can I take it not all ISPs use this system?

Regards, Cochise, :cool:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I don't believe I share my adsl with anyone. I'm not sure how common contention with adsl is in the U.S. Cable is subject to contention.

That sounds like an awfully good deal they are offering you.

Just stand on their desk and ask them can you back out if you don't like it.

I would give it a try if it were me.

It is addicting and you will be subject to mood swings if it doesn't work right at times. :D

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Will also be moving to broadband the end of the month :D :D ;), Whoa!!!
    BTW, the title brought me...

GF

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Cochise,

I understand you are getting a cable connection (tv) and not a DSL telephone connection. If you live in a big appartment building with a lot of cable connections you will notice a slowdown. But that said it depends on how many users and what traffic they generate. So it is difficult to give figures, but up to 20% slow down have been noticed here (NL) with cable users in the past. Nowadays by improving techniques its going better and better.

Also notice that if you have a 512 bandwith, in practice you will lose up to 10% due to overhead.

Good links Ronjor pointed at.

Anyway you will like your new connection I am sure.

Gerard

7. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks once more to you all....my confidence is on the rise now :D ....the connection I'am talking about is ADSL (No chance of Cable in my Village, too remote to make it viable)....and I live in a Detatched three bedroomed Bungalow, so not much chance of Apartment Block wipe-out :D :D only single and two storey buildings, no highrise in the area.

So thank you all once more and I shall enter the Broadband Battle-ground as fully armed as I can possibly be with your kind advice..... ;) Cheers....

Best Regards to Everyone, Cochise, :cool:

PS. Please continue to offer any and all info on BB that you think may stand me in good stead... :-*

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Don't forget the firewall and/or router in your new system setup.

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Don't worry my good friend Ron.....I've got everything layered with three coats of Matt Emulsion and two coats of Wiffle Dust, on top of that, my whole system and Computer Room is buried 30feet down and encased in 7feet of reinforced concrete....even my Wife can't find me, so I think it will be quite difficult for any Worms etc., to gallop up my Port :D :D

PS. Router??....I've only got one OS and I don't have the strength to keep carting my stuff about just so I can use it in another room...Looooooool! :D

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Kindly send me the plans for that room. I want one!! :D

11. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Better still Ron, I'm sending you the complete ROOM AND the HOLE that goes with it, all in kit form, it should arrive with you by Christmas, have fun mate, you deserve it.. :D :D

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks my friend. Can't wait for the hole. Our water table here is about two feet below ground, but, I will figure a way to make this work. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.