Consumer 4-in-1 printer suggestions.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Kirk Reynolds, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Hi, I'll be picking out a 4-in-1 printer for someone else and I wanted to get opinions on the latest consumer printers. Who builds the most reliable consumer printers nowadays?

My last 2 HP printers had problems. The first one leaked ink. HP replaced it with a newer model and it did the same thing.

My relatives bought a HP a few years ago, and they've always complained about it not grabbing the paper in the tray. They want me to pick one out for them. They need a basic 4-in-1 printer, nothing fancy, just something that works and is reliable. I'm considering steering clear of HP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Does it need to be able to print in Color?

My Printer is a B&W Laser. I almost never need Color Printing.

My largest consideration in getting a new Printer is Ink/Toner Cost. In my case, I selected Brother because inexpensive Toner is available for my Brother Printer Model.

An 4-in-1 B&W Printer Example: Brother MFC-7460DN

http://www.brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFC7460DN/Overview#.Uv2FzM7uWkw

A 'Compatible' Toner Cartridge is currently available at around $19 (USA Price 'Delivered') (2,600 Pages @5% Coverage)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Kirk Reynolds

Yeah, although they won't need color much, it will be needed some. I should have mentioned that and the price range too. They're wanting to go ~$120 or less, which I guess takes a laser 4-in-1 printer out of the equation. Laser is probably cheaper in the long run considering the price per page, but I don't think they'll go that high initially.

Thanks anyway though.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Any printer as long as you dont use refillable cartridges.
    I've owned 2 Canons and currently an Epson.
    Both Canons worked flawlessly until i used a refillable cartridge and it started to leak ink all over my paper, even switching to originals didnt work.
    My current Epson was working fine until i once again tried a refillable cartridge, now it no longer prints perfectly, it prints slightly misaligned even though i have all original cartridges now.

You could try one of those refillable ink printers. I know multiple retailers here that install these kind of things to cheaper AIO printers.
    I know they work perfectly if installed correctly because i have friends that have purchased them. :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Always had issues with hp printers. Can't recommend them with enthusiasm.
    Any inkjet printer will need to be cycled from time, or it will clog..
    For trouble-free long-life printing I always recommend laser.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

That's pretty near entry-level prices. And when you buy budget products, you get budget products. That applies to HP, Canon, Brother, or just about anything.

If these were pure electronic devices, that would be one thing. But printers, especially all-in-ones, and even more so if they support duplex (two-sided) printing, are highly mechanical devices. If you want mechanical devices to last, you need to start with high quality (tight tolerances, good design, quality construction).

I have been using HP printing devices for decades and always got years of good service. But I avoid the cheap models. My current HP is the OfficeJet 6500 Wireless which I have had for about 3 years and it still works perfectly. It originally sold at BestBuy for about $250.

I agree with noob. In spite of what OfficeMax and Stables would have us believe, not all ink is equal. And while many swear by the cheaper 3rd party solutions, I have seen too many inconsistencies and performance issues to recommend anything other than genuine, original manufacturer cartridges and ink.

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

For home use, my current policy is to buy a relatively cheap printer, and don´t expect it to last more than 3 years. Also, I don´t like bulky office-type printers for home use.

I am currently using an HP DeskJet 4625. Good results so far (after 6 months of use). For a laser, I would buy the HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf ($140 at Amazon).

8. Bill_Bright

And I personally think that is a pretty good policy. Printing devices have almost become disposable devices. So the decision for many (who are not into serious photo printing) is the cost of consumables (ink).

9. Kirk Reynolds

Well, I just wanted to see what the opinions are as to which brand is currently the most reliable and if there is any in particular that I might want to avoid.

I guess they would just assume pay a smaller amount more often. Pretty much the same as Robin's policy. 50-100 or so every 2 or 3 years really isn't much money these days.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you can find the canon mx-922 for 129 all day long if you look at places like amazon and even staples has had it that price for the last like 4 weeks. otherwise the epson 810 is a good choice as well but its just over the budget. you can find it on sale for around 140$ most times. i HATE HATE HATE hp printers and would never recc on to anyone even if they were paying me. terrible imo. you can also buy refillable cartridges for both the 922 and 810 and buy the ink and refill them yourself instead if paying the RIDICULOUS prices they want for ink. i always suggest them to my clients and have tons in use and never had a issue with the refillables as long as you use a decent quality ink. i have a mix of both canon and epson in my offices and it would be hard to pick one but for home use i think the epson is a bit better and small office use canon takes it.

those i listed above are inkjet if you want to look at laser you open up a ton more options. thing is your not going to find a color laser that is anything decent for around 120$ not gonna happen. black only maybe but even then your buying the low end and it may not have the extra you want and just be a printer. but for laser i prefer canon and brother myself. we use those 2 brands pretty much exclusively in all business' we do who want something other than a giant multi office style printer. in fact i have the canon 8280 and 8580 installed at a real estate office i handle and between those 2 they take care of all 9 offices in there and everyone loves it because of the ease of use.

hope i didnt add to the confusion but those are my thoughts.

11. Kirk Reynolds

Not at all. That's the sort of feedback I'm looking for, actually.
    Edit: I should have also asked for model #s in the OP if anyone had suggestions for ones in particular instead of just saying "brand". Thanks to those in the thread that have offered them. ;)

You've had plenty of clients using the Canon MX-922s and it has been pretty solid? They might go for that one. Refillable cartridges too...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  12. zfactor

yup lots of people. i have only seen one bad printer to which canon swapped it out for them (first year they swap it out) otherwise works great. its actually whats on my own desk at home.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Love my Epson Artisan 810. I order the higher capacity (9:cool: cartridges directly from Epson in combo packs.

14. zfactor

you should try the refillable ones they work perfect and cost so little.

15. Kirk Reynolds

Would you mind recommending a kit with/and some high enough quality ink from Amazon for that Canon MX-922? Or if not that, suggest a brand, ink qty, and price range that they should run at?

16. zfactor

when i get to the office ill pm you a link of the one i buy for the 922. i have bought a bunch of them and never had a issue.

17. Bill_Bright

:(

This is a tech support "forum"! A "forum" by definition, is an "open" place for discussion where "everyone" can share, participate, AND LEARN.

A PM with information that may benefit others is 100% counter to the "forum" concept.

What is so special about a link to refillable ink that it cannot be shared with the rest of us?

18. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

19. Bill_Bright

Protecting our environment is important. Note that many communities have electronics recycling centers that will take these devices off your hands and properly recycle the precious metals, batteries, plastics and metal, and most hazardous materials.

Some centers will pay you for them too - perhaps pennies per pound, but better than nothing.

That said, our center here wanted me to pay them $10 per CRT monitor because CRTs have mercury and lead in them and they cannot cost-effectively recycle them per required OSHA and EPA standards. But they took my old printers, cases, hard drives (already wiped, of course), motherboards, CPUs, RAM, PSUs, and more no problem.

20. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

When it fails, I take it to one of the few recycling centers that exists where I live, and forget about it.

I used an "old-school" HP printer for more than 8 years. It always worked well. But drivers for Windows 7 were never released, and the cartridges became expensive. I next bought an Epson in the $300-400 price range. It failed after about 3 years of light use (I suspect the black ink printing head clogged).

I see that some people "hate" HP printers (many lovers and haters in this Wilders forum). But bear in mind than in many parts of the world, HP is the dominant presence in the printer market. And buying from Amazon a printer that doesn´t have local support is not a good idea.

21. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Canon or Epson.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I would agree that nothing beats a laser printer. Quality is AWESOME.

Anyways, for the budget minded like most of us, i recommend Epson.
    They are cheaper and better than comparable Canon printers. (Original ink cartridges are also cheaper than Canons)

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't print a lot and when I do need cartridges I wait for deals.

24. Kirk Reynolds

Office Max has a sale on several printers and the relatives wanted me take advantage of it and pick one out.

I got them an inkjet Epson WF-3540 for $139.99
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CC31201

I'm going look at refill kits with/and ink. If anyone has suggestions for any brands or ones in particular, I'm listening. Speaking of suggestions, thanks to everyone for the replies. :)

25. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Had a HP 4 in1 bought in the late 90's that saw well over 10 years of heavy usage. Only a refilled ink cartridge brought it down. Subsequent recent HP machines were junk.

I have had good luck (6 years +) with a Brother laser 4 in one.

Also have had good luck with a cheap Canon inkjet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.