Constantly monitor your public IP

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gnikf, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnikf

Gnikf Registered Member

I'm looking for some desktop widget, wallpaper or whatever that can stay constantly on on my second monitor and show my public IP.
    If notifies on change, even better.
    I've had some of the VPN proggies out there silently crash on me and i've been browsing with my clear IP without knowing it... :)

There were some network widgets for windows vista before that showed that, but i'm with 7 now and widget doesn't seem to be officially supported anymore. They were showing the IP too small anyway :)

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi, here's a selection of tools which "could" be useful in various ways. All are Free :thumb:

The above uses Java, which you "might" not want, but others "might" not mind !

You "might" be able to change the interval setting ? If not email him & ask him how to, or if he'll update the software to make it real time etc ;)

You might like to take a look at these too :)

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Here's one, but I don't think it alerts on a change.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

As they say there's more than one way to skin a cat! MEOW! ;)

Truth be told you don't need to monitor your IP, learn how to make firewall rules and then when the VPN goes down you're blocked from getting online, alot of people here can show you how to do this for Comodo...

Don't rely on programs to monitor your IP, it's not needed...

This isn't something complicated to learn and is better for you to do, it's safer...

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Get a free DynamicDNS hostname from No-IP.com, and install their client DUC 3.0.4. Runs in the tray and can be left open on the desktop. Checks IP every 60 seconds.

PD

6. box750

box750 Registered Member

A cheap trick I take advantage of is to listen to a US only music website like Slacker or Pandora Radio with a US VPN server while I browse the Internet, if the VPN drops and my real non US IP shows the music stops playing on the background straight away and that serves me as a warning.

7. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

sup been some time yall ,

well i suggest this one ive used it for a long time and its served me well , he even updated it recently , its called ipk combo its got what you want and more , here

http://pavel.kuzub.com/ipk-combo

p.s> the others are right this isnt sufficient by any means its only an accessory to your already tightly locked down system as should be , that includes custom firewall rules be it comodo or whatever , is easily done and MUST be done in order to be safe should your vpn drop out for any reason whatsoever , stay safe

8. Please Help Me

Please Help Me Registered Member

I was also looking for a software like this. Thanks a lot.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

When your monitoring app reports a leak, it's probably already too late!

As others have said, use firewall rules (if it matters).

10. Please Help Me

What kind of leak? Your real IP leaking through an anonymous proxy like Tor? Or is it something else?

11. mirimir

This thread is about monitoring "leaks" in VPNs, I think. That is, when the VPN connection isn't working right, it's possible for traffic to go out directly via the physical network interface. Having firewall rules to prevent that is best, as DasFox etc have noted. On Windows machines, one can also disable routing via the physical network interface.

Such firewall rules will also block DNS query leaks, and that's probably not something that leak detection software addresses.

Analogous firewall rules can also prevent leaks using Tor.

Edit: Here's an old Wilders link about firewall rules in Linux

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=229431

A couple people have posted setups for Windows firewalls.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  12. Please Help Me

What kind of firewall rules prevent leaks from Tor? I am interested in preventing such leaks on Tor.

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Gnikf, I'll say this another way, you're going about this the WRONG way!

1. If you want safety & security when your VPN drops then you don't just monitor an IP to help you accomplish this, you need to have some type of system in place to help you in case of drops, and that is not by simply having an application to monitor IP addresses, or even try and protect you...

2. What you really want when a vpn drops is for your connectivity to be BLOCKED!

3. Your connectivity will be BLOCKED by creating Firewall Rules! This is the PROPER way to do this!

Firewalls are the PROPER way to accomplish your goals, not by staring at IP addresses to see what they are, but sure knowing your IP is nice and you can still have Widgets and what not to do this, but you DON'T do this for security!

I run Linux and I even have an iptables firewall rule that does the same EXACT thing, blocks my connection when the VPN goes off line! This is the PROPER way you do it under any computer system, Apple, Windows, Unix, Linux, etc...

So now hopefully on this forum, or through a member, or on Google you can find out how to create the rules, but if you are using a VPN then they should be able to assit you and if they can't or won't then drop them and find one that will!

CHEERS

14. mirimir

I'm not a Tor guru :(

But there are some around here, and maybe they'll help.

Or you could google it ;)

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

If Tor is leaking out an IP then there's a BUG in this and people should be reporting this, that's the WHOLE point of TOR to give you their IP on their Network, so if you're using their Tor Browser Bundle you should not be running into this.

NOW DNS leaking, that's another issue and since Windows leaks DNS I can see this as more of a possibility, but the the Tor Browser Bundle they should have that covered as well...

16. vpndude2012

vpndude2012 Registered Member

I downloaded public-ip-monitor when i changed ip's it never notified me and i did wait way past 10 mins.

Awhile after downloading this, i realized i down load from an unknown source i am considered maybe it could have malware or a virus on it (root kit or key logger) . Should this be a concern? I guess it simply an exuatable program as it wasent in the start menu or add or remove.

being paranoid or sensible ?

17. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.