Constantly getting infected by malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xpsunny, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

Hello,
    I an currently Kaspersky internet security 6.0
    I am getting constantly infected by undetected Malwares.
    Anyone please suggest me a better AV. :)

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

xpsunny,

You already have a better AV, there should be no need to change. When you say that you are constantly being infected by undetected malware, precisely what do you mean? How have you determined that you're infected and what are the signs being shown?

Blue

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Xpsunny is well known over at the KAV forums for posting "problems" which are invariably not down to KAV/KIS.
    From some of his recent posts here I thought he had already decided on a change from KIS! :p :rolleyes:
    So I would personally take his recent posting with a large pinch of salt :blink:

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Blackcat,
    Good point, as soon as I saw who started this thread I thought the same thing as you.
    Pretty sad IF this is a joke when there are people here willing to go out of there way to help someone.

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm not a high-risk user, and I've gotten a couple unexpected trojans put into my temporary internet files folder by supposedly legitimate celebrity websites. KAV and Avira were the only two AVs I have a license for to detect them.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Are you sure that you aren't only a desperate salesman to some other av-product losing customers? :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or maybe you should either stop high risk surfing or get more protection e.g. HIPS and more.

8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can try SiteAdvisor (for IE or Firefox) to see, if the webpages you are visiting are safe.
    What other security software do you have? BTW, KAV and Avira give false alerts sometimes.

9. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Mine were not likely false alarms, because some other AVs at VirusTotal found malware.

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Doesn't this prove that no a/v program is 100% effective all of the time?
    Even the best miss something sooner or later.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Is there the best at all then ? ? ? :D

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

That's debatable.
    My opinion is this;
    The best depends on an individual's preference and what runs well on that box.
    I'd say that the "best" is the same as "top tier." The programs that more users trust.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im guessing that xpsunny does alot of high risk surfing and is expecting there av to block it all :)

14. Firefighter

And if that's true, his favourite av would still miss over 40 % of those NEW nasties that were met.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yup im just guessing here on what i posted. but with all those posts on kaspersky forum getting infected like a few times every week i cant think of any other reason..

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

It was my experience, and KAV came through better than some others. It doesn't prove that it never misses, but I sure feel good with it.

17. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

No AV if you use a virtual Linux on nonroot account. It's pretty safe if you are addicted to malware sites.

If you only want to use MS OS then use a limited account with either KAV or Avast with Web Scan activated. Not as safe as Linux above but fairly secure unless you purposefully download an infected file and run it. Then, you will most likely need a HIPS or other behavior blocking software.

A good known to be clean image on removable media is a good idea to have as well.

18. Firefighter

You are free to use av:s, where their representative said some years ago, that their heuristic analysis engines have detected MORE than 90% of new viruses and variants "before they were written". After over a year in an independent test, this solution was able to detect LESS than 37 % from ItW, win32, macro, script and worm category viruses. ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Excuse me, Lodore, but would you mind pointing me towards "all those on kaspersky forum getting infected like a few times every week" posts, i don't seem to remember users getting "infected a few times every week" and although i'm getting older & possibly slightly senile.............the thing is that i read vitually every post in the forum and quite frankly if what you claim is true......would Kaspersky have the good reputation it has with regards to detection and would it actually have customers at all.:eek: :blink: o_O

I hate to put some substance into this thread, but XpSunny got infected with a trojandownloader because he clicked on a link in the forum clearly saying it was malware and unfortunately i missed the file in the first instance, but he clicked that link knowing it was malware not detected so...............;) :)

P.s. A signature was released less than an hour after i submitted the file.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I can't seem to remember one time that I got infected when I used kaspersky. Never happened and I was a very curious web server then ;) Maybe my permanent hardening helped like spyware blaster, host file, blacklists, ie-spyads etc.

xpsunny you can try using socketshield as well and have it running along side your existing antivirus.

dja2k

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I think xpSunny needs to get a free AV, and then when he gets infected by carelessness he can at know that at least it was free, and did not cost anything.:D :D

If Clamwin is free that would be the one, as it has the lowest detection level anyway, and it might teach some wisdom as to what to click on. o_O

I might add that even though the "update" problem last week was a pain until fixed, it was not a dangerous situation as far as I was concerned. It just caused the icon not to appear in the tray, and all it took to correct that before the update was fixed was just to open KAV. Inconvenient but not dangerous.

Jerry

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sorry don i over exaggerated but xpsunny did have quite a few posts about been infected. and i wasnt having a dig at kaspersky. i was saying if you go on the "bad side of the web" you cant expect your av to block everything. kaspersky is one of the best av's there is but not even that can block everything because that is impossible. if you want to visit the dark side of the web you need extra protection and will still need to run on demand scans to clean up after it. or use a sandboxie and other measures to stay safer but i would recommend not visiting the dark side of the web. i can say this because i used to think an av would protect me from the dark side of the web and my old was full of malware after that at the time i used Norton 2003. but i have learned my lesson and i am now a safe surfer and thats why im here to share what happened to me and to warn others. and also to keep me safe.

i dont dig at any av's i just point out av's bad point so to help they over come it.

lodore

23. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I know you weren't taking a shot Kaspersky or at any AV, but you do have a tendency to be the messenger of things taken slightly out of context from other forums thats all.;)

You're absolutely right about safe hex/surfing though, just that would limit the infections seen by users of <insert any AV here> and XpSunny should listen to your advice.:)

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye im sorry about my tendency to shout the fact that one av has had just make e.g. a bad update.

25. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Ya, that's why I need to add a new and more aggressive component to my system. I'm going to try Prevx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.