Constant HDD light activity on Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TimaN, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

I have Vista Ultimate and my hard drive activity light is constantly lid and it's not even flickering. CPU usage is normal and everything seems to work fine but I can't figure out what's accessing my hard drive to make it loaded like that. It never occured with Win. XP. If anyone has knowledge about this, please share. :)

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Vista has so many "features", which could do it. I would guess indexing or superfetch.
    You can check disc activity via Task Manager - Performance - Resource Monitor - Disc.
    You can also try Process Monitor - uncheck process & registry monitoring, keep only file.

3. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

Does anyone else have the same problem as mine?

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Does this happen when you reboot? or does it just stay solid, if it stays solid, then you have a conflict with a software which is trying to run, turn off UAC if its enabled and see what happens, usually if a software is trying to run, and UAC is preventing it, it will cause hard drive activity untill the application is terminated, If this happens after a reboot however, then its software that is trying to run at startup that is the offender.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Does this happen when you reboot? or does it just stay solid, if it stays solid, then you have a conflict with a software which is trying to run, turn off UAC if its enabled and see what happens, usually if a software is trying to run, and UAC is preventing it, it will cause hard drive activity untill the application is terminated, If this happens after a reboot however, then its software that is trying to run at startup that is the offender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.