Constant Browser Crashes

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Xen0s, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xen0s

Xen0s Registered Member

Hi all,

I've been suffering recurring problems with Browser crashes, and they're driving me insane. Someone was posting about a similar thing on this forum a couple of years ago and that's how I found this place - I was Googling for a solution. Since it was a while ago now, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Ok, this is the error, same thing every time:
    "The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Microsoft Internet Explorer ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event:
    iexplore.exe, 6.0.2800.1106, mshtml.dll, 6.0.2800.1498, 000160a8."

And this is what I've tried so far (in no particular order):
    I have reinstalled IE from Microsoft's website. I have version 6.0.2800.1106 (OS is Win2k by the way).

I have run a repair command (rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINNT\IE Uninstall Log.Txt")

I have SpywareNuker installed and my system is checked, and cleaned, regularly.

I have Sophos and my system is virus-free.

I regularly run a Registry checker (Advanced System Optimizer) and clean up any errors that throws up.

I've run HijackThis and the log seems clean. I could post it if it would be useful.

I've checked the programs that run at startup, and disabled all but the essentials.

For the record, I have Administrator privilages on the account I'm using. It's running on a wireless connection and I've also noticed this problem affecting Firefox as well as IE, which leads me to believe it's a browser issue rather than a specific IE issue.

If anyone has any suggestions or inight, I would be really, really grateful!! This is driving me crazy - every time I think I've fixed it the damn thing falls over again. I really am at a loss for new ideas.

Xen0s

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

3. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

Well, I googled with the last numbers you gave -

mshtml.dll, 6.0.2800.1498,000160a8."

and found a site called http://patch-info.de-Internet Explorer, the only thing is it seems to be all in German??

I will keep looking for an English answer, but I am sure someone here probably can translate to see if it will solve your problem. The other thing is it says alot about WinXP, you say you have WinME?

Luck either way!!

4. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

I searched again, this is the correct url:

http://patch-info.de/IE/

This is some of the wording if someone recognizes the site.

Informationen zu verfügbaren Patches für Internet
    Explorer 6 ab SP 1 (6.0.2800.xxxx)

We know how tiresome your problem can be, hope it is fixed soon!!

5. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

spyware nuker is a rogue Program It can be very dangerous running that. You should use spybot or adaware or a free proven spyware catcher other than what you are using. www.spywarewarrior.com Look at rogue Programs. also
    keep all programs updated and your windows patched. Regularly check windows update for the latest critical Patches. and Internet explorer is very unstable. You should use netscape or firefox its more secure.

6. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

You have IE 6, but you ran IE5 repair?

There is a cumulative critical security download for IE6, perhaps you should try for that?

MS05-014: Cumulative security updates for IE - Critical
    support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;867282&spid=2073&sid=global

Maybe that will clear up your problem, there seem to be many problems with IE, and it is said IE settings can also effect FireFox and other browsers you are using.

Spywarenuker has been taken off the rogue's list, but I would believe your problem lies with IE and it needs that update.

You try it, Xenos, it may be your answer, unless someone has a definite answer?

7. Xen0s

Xen0s Registered Member

Well I do have automatic update, and I install every critical/security update as it comes in, so I think I probably have the all the latest patches. But I will check.

Yeah, I probably ran a 5.5 repair, purely out of desperation cos I couldn't think of anything else to do, lol. Is there a 6.0 version of that process?

I've had a lot of success with SpwareNuker. I got it because I HAVE Spybot and Adaware and they simply were not picking up crap I KNEW was on my system. There's a spyware checker in Advanced System Optimizer and it was showing up things but was unable to fix them. SpywareNuker has found everything and neutralised it. I'd recommend it actually.

8. Xen0s

Xen0s Registered Member

Well, I checked Windows Update and apparently there are no updates available for my computer and I should check back later :)

By the way, my OS is Windows 2000, not Windows ME (someone said that in one of the posts).

Haha, this is funny :D - I just tried to open spywarewarrior.com and guess what, my browser crashed! LOL. Sometimes I get the sneaking suspicion it crashes because there's stuff out there it doesn't want me to see ;)

Looking in EventViewer, I notice that the library file is slightly different:

"The following information is part of the event: iexplore.exe, 6.0.2800.1106, msls31.dll, 3.10.337.0, 00005f58."

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  9. hadi

hadi Guest

repair IE6

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_ie6.htm
    Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
    In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
    Select the OK button.
    Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
    Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.
    Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
    Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
    Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
    In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
    In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
    Click the Search button.
    In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
    Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
    Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete

10. hadi

hadi Guest

Sorry your OS is 2k
    Run this command:
    rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

11. Shrek

Shrek Guest

Go to Start -> Run
    Then enter regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    Click OK when finished
    If that single change does not resolve the problem, repeat the process by running regsrv32 with the following dll files.
    Shdocvw.dll
    Msjava.dll
    Actxprxy.dll
    Oleaut32.dll
    Mshtml.dll
    Browseui.dll
    Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

If this does not fix it, download IEFix from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/iefix.htm

12. Xen0s

Xen0s Registered Member

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. For fun and giggles I tried using FireFox for a while, and it did crash. Exactly like IE. So either IE's settings are messing up Firefox, or it's a non-browser-specific problem.

I ran the repair and I'm currently working my way though Shrek's suggestions. It's not something I can give a quick answer on though, as it sometimes doesn't crash for hours, sometimes crashes 5 times in 15 minutes.

It does seem to have stabilised a bit recently (touch wood). Let's hope it keeps up!

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Holy cow...I can't believe I forgot all about this. I had to do this at my last job because of probs with IE. What a brain-fart ;)

I'm glad somebody was paying attention :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.