Considering trying avast 4.6, opinions pls?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tobamore, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello, I have 3 pc's here, one running nod32, one Kav and the other awaiting an av. I'm considering getting avast 4.6 pro, should I? How does it compare to the other two? Should I get another licence for one of the other two instead? Many questions I know, but I am very interested in your valued opinions. (I believe that a variety of avs can help defeat a virus on at least one of the pcs, so would consider 3 different avs)

mtia
    #
    Toby

2. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi tobamore. Since you already have kav on one computer, and nod on the other one. I would trial avast pro on the third one. I believe you get a 30 day trial? (someone correct me if I'm wrong) I've ran all 3 antiviruses that are mentioned here. I like all 3.

If you don't like avast, just simply uninstall it and buy kav or nod. Remember, curiosity killed the cat. If you don't try avast you will never know...and always wonder :D There are a lot of happy avast users on this forum. They also have a great forum, like nod and kav. I don't have the link handy.

A little off topic here. If you don't like avast. I would give "bitdefender standard" a trial also.

3. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

Hello,

avast! strongly recommends that you "try out" their software before purchasing it. I have used all three programs you mention and found all three to be very good.

Regards

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Yep give it a try, it's the one I ended up staying with :)

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    This could have just as easily been my thread. (Me too). How is the new release doing? :ninja:

6. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

*bump*

Would anyone care to comment on the VB results (where avast 4.1 - I think, failed pretty much) and nod32/kav comparisons please? :)

mtia
    #
    Toby.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Forget about VB100%. That test doesn't mean anything.
    You can trial avast! Professional for 60 days free of charge with full functionality. But if you're at home you can use Home Edition for longer if you wish, with certain limitations (not in detection).
    I'm using avast! for very long and after testing other AVs im always coming back to avast!. Who knows why ;) :D

8. vlk

vlk AV Expert

2tobamore: maybe I shouldn't comment on avast's results as my view is undoubtly biased (as a member of the avast team) but anyways.

Have a look at avast's VB100% results: http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avist.xml

From what I see, my only concern (as a potential customer) would be the WinXP failure in June 2004. This failure has been discussed quite extensively on our support forum - please see e.g. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=4805.0 or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=4893.0 .
    Actually the June 04 magazine is available online (http://www.virusbtn.com/magazine/issues/pdf/2004/200406.pdf) - so you can help yourself and read the whole article (the VB guys now finally make the magazine available in PDF version online - although only older issues).

Thanks
    vlk

9. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I personally like it, but the new web shield slows my browsing down considerably, so I stopped it.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Web Shield shouldn't slow down webpage loading. I don't see any difference on 1Mbit line with or without Web Shield.

11. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

The much awaited AV Comparatives (Feb 2005) test results are due out on March 1st. You can make up your own mind on how the 3 compare detection wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.