Considering NOD but

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Robyn, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have been encouraged by the reports and posts on NOD32 as an AV and am now considering this as my AV.

I am running AVG Pro and still have a subscription remaining for my main PC but have recently purchased a new notebook computer which would benefit from all reports of NOD32 having a light footprint - very attractive.

I have a few concerns before I decide even to install the trial version o_O

I know AVG uses a lot more resources but my main PC can cope with 2GB RAM although if I am comfortable with NOD I would much prefer the less resource hungry AV.

I noted on the website that one of the changes (2004) was for better Hyperthreading compatibilty - is the current version fully compatible with HT computers?

My other concern was a point mentioned in a post about the lack of slow release of updates :( I had this when I ran Norton a few years ago, friends who had AVG had updates frequently (same now I have many updates for AVG) therefore am a little worried if I instaled NOD32 on my notebook and AVG was being updated regulary on my main PC yet had to wait xx for my notebook to receive updates.

I have read the extra configuration post and looked at the screenshots - a lot of configurations yet it remains a light AV :) Hopefully things would work out and I can uninstall the pre-installed AV on my notebook and fully test NOD before my main HT computer needs a new AV. Thanks

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I've been using NOD32 on my home machine with Intel CPU supporting HT for about 2 years without any issues.

As for the interval between releasing updates, I reckon 1 update a day is enough. Especially if you consider that in the case of an outbreak updates are issued very quickly, not mentioning that Advanced heuristics usually detects such threats instantly as probable unknown viruses.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i was in the same place you are a few weeks ago and i decided on nod32 in the last few days. i choose nod after testing every other av i could get my hands on. tried them all and there are many others out there that are good some great even (kav) i just fealt more comfortable with the responses i recieved from nod. and talking to people that work for eset having them explain deeply how nod works i feel it will protect me best.

as far as resources i cant even tell it is running at all!!!! no drag noticed at all whatso ever. the scanning is the fastest i have tested . you could run nod easily with 256 mb of ram and not worry. i have seen no compatablity issues with hyperthreading at all and have not herad this from anyone, i have been researching av's for a few months now and have not seen anything about this.

since using nod i have seen quite frequent updates never had the server error, and remember with nods heuristics nod will pick up stuff that others will not unless they have a signature on them. this is my main liking for nod i know that if something hits my pc that is not known, instead of waiting for a update that may be too late nod would pick this up. no it may not bee 100% but sure makes me feel more comfortable with it.

i dont know if this helps but like i said i did what you are doing now and went through av after av and nod was the first and the last. thanks for the time

4. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you so much every post helps me as they are all so appropriate to the way my mind is thinking and the research I am doing. I have been working along with AVG as it was so well recommended at the time I was changing from Norton.

Wilders led me to think about NOD32 as my other forums seem to be more AVG and the usual McAfee/Norton orientated. I research everything pros and cons but as far as I can see now NOD has far more 'Pros' and is certianly worth my deep consideration, in fact now I feel I should have it installed already!

I know the uniform approach is to use what other friends are using but when you are a member of this forum and alerted to the advantages of an AV I don't really know anyone who uses NOD but am so much aware now that I really cannot rely on my current AV.

I really appreciate the fact that someone has been in the same thought process as me and made the decision I feel I am going to make very soon. Thanks for explaining your thought process and your eventual decision was of great benefit, zfactor.

The hyperthreading issue was in the FAQ's on their site - it was a bug fix and off course I picked up on this as I know firewalls etc had bugs for HT computers. Thankfully Macros has not seen this as a problem.

I am sure my notebook will benefit from the light footprint and my desktop may not even reach the renewal datte for AVG if I setup NOD successfully on my notebook.

I will study a little more but think I will install NOD on this very soon and then consider my uninstall of AVG Pro on my desktop. Hopefully I will be able to setup NOD but am greatly encouraged by the help I have received already and the added security of the Heuristic detection rate. I have this with AVG but something tells me it is not as good as NOD would be.

Thanks again - any help on this choice is very much appreciated :) who knows I may be able to convince my friends when I take the step to insall NOD32 ;)

5. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

sounds like 2 more happy NOD users ;)
    We'll take care of you guys :D

6. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

If it helps , I still test , from time to time , AV programs . NOD is the overall winner . When everything is considered , I believe you will find NOD to be the way to go . Good luck in your quest .

7. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I began testing NOD32 a week or so ago. I had just upgraded the current AV that was on a medium powered Win 2k Fujitsu notepad and it was having all kinds of issues (which was really upsetting to me since the previous version was so good.)

Anyway, I removed the other AV and installed the trial of NOD. I noticed an immediate improvement in the PCs performance. Manual scan ran fast and setup was easy (detailed but not hard to follow.) After running for a few days, it was clear to me that NOD is the right AV for the Fujitsu. So I bought it!

I have begun a trial of NOD32 for 98SE. So far, I am just as impressed. A full scan by it revealed a remnant of HuntBar that nothing else had ever picked up (Spybot, AdAware and 2 other AV's.) So it looks like I'll probably being buying NOD for that PC too.

I have tried several AV's on various machines over the last year. Of the ones I've tested, I have a handful of favorites. That said, when considering resource usage, purchase price and subjective test results, NOD certainly holds it's own against anything I've tried. I

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

don't forget that there is a two user home pack which saves a few dollars...

;)

9. swoop

swoop Registered Member

So do I. This issue should be elaborated a bit more, though. How about HT optimisation? In terms of the final code being compiled in such a way that the OS can balance the load among the logical processors.

I can imagine that for some parts of your engine it could be a bit tricky to do this kind of optimisations. In that case it is better to be safe than sorry.

Anyway, is it there or not?

Cheers

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

First a disclaimer: I no longer use NOD and have not used it for about eight months now. (LOL, don't want to start or participate in any flame wars!)

I believe that is because of the use of advanced algorithms which themselves are implemented in assembler language. I know absolutely nothing about computer language, having graduated from college before computers, at least the desktop pc, even existed. But assembler, from what I have heard, is suppose to be about as "pure" and therefore "smaller" with smaller footprint (translate "faster") as possible.

http://www.slovakspectator.sk/clanok-358.html

Acadia

11. alerter

alerter Guest

does anyone who uses nod32 also use Prevx IPS?

are there any incompatibilities/conflicts/caveats between the two products to be aware of?

thanks...

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use both without any problems, have done so for a while.

Cheers :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  13. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Just getting back to this topic now. I am feeling more and more that NOD is the way to go especially for my notebook - it is as powerful as notebooks can be but as I plan to use software such as PSPro 9 and Frontpage etc which do require a lot more resources to run, I feel I would notice the difference when my AV is not eating up even more in the background.

I really appreciate all the replies even though one does not use NOD any longer :( Before I shutdown last night I was planning my uninstall/install over the next few days as the posts here have been very encouraging about NOD. At least my notebook is not hyperthreaded so I will not hit this type of bug on this computer.

I will hope to download the trial version and if I am really impressed and notice the lightness etc plus the added features (hope I can understand the Amon etc which are not familiar to me at all o_O ) I may well uninstall my current AV from my desktop and install NOD on this before my subscription is due.

Thank you to all the posts from experience. I was very interested to read about the Fujitsu as my fiend has this brand of PC and I am worried about a change of AV for this as it has a Sempron processor :( I was going to install NOD myself and then install it for him but am really disappointed this morning when I note in his e-mail that he 'thinks' the fact his ISP scans his mail he does not need anything :eek: but that is another story and something for me to deal with later!

I am certainly on the way to installing the trial of NOD and hopefully will not have nay issues when setting up. Thanks again, I really do appreciate all the input :)

14. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I hope you license it after the test. It is worth the money! And I have tested quite a few myself too ;)

15. Blackspear

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Robyn: Our Fujitsu runs with a Celeron processor which is directly comparable to the AMD Sempron. Based on my experience, I would feel confident that NOD32 would run fine on his machine...

17. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks Han, I am just about to visit him after recovering from the shock he was going to depend on his ISP scanning!!!

I have actually just installed the trial version of NOD on my notebook and trying to work everything out. A lovely smooth GUI with the little components etc ;) I only realised I would have to uninstall this if I make my mind up to register after the trial but hopefully this would all be fine. Mis-read the info on the site :(

I have just preformed a full system scan and have a few 'errors file locked could not be opened' I presume this is OK and I just didn't see this with my previous AV? I have no infection reported thankfully - I really do like the program on the very first look and just need to make sure I have all configured as it should be. Comparing the footprint to AVG on this as there is a difference in total ;)

Will read the extra info from the link Blackspear - thank you. It is strange to see the heuristic scanner working which is hidden in AVG. I thought I had done something wrong as when I sent a mail to my desktop only AVG's stamp was on it but sent the other way NOD stamped coming in - I then read the post in here about the outbound stamp so it will stop me looking :rolleyes:

I will have a lot to learn but would think in 30days I should know a lot more than I do today, at least this post convinced me to install a lot quicker than I would have done as it is difficult to make the decision to change.

Thanks for the extra info. just hope I can convince my neighbour NOD32 would be much better for him than some of the free ones he is looking at - worst still the fact he was considering 'none' I would not have uninstalled anything and would have had to stop e-mailing that is for sure!

As soon as I have the confidence everything is being scanned by default and the updates run smoothly I will feel realy happy I made the decision with the help and advice in this post.

Edit: just reading Blackspear's config. post and have found out about my locked files.

Thanks for this post it is really good Blackspear ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  18. Blackspear

Good to see, and my pleasure, as questions come along, ask away, don't hesitate ;) :D

Cheers :D

19. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

yep - I have a machine we use for demo purposes - it's a Celeron 2.4Ghz - and you don't even know that NOD32 is on it...

20. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Help please o_O NOD was running perfectly for me until just now. I had to re-boot my notebook after an install of another program. NOD was loading really quickly but this time it didn't appear and when it did there was an error:
    My emails have the stamp on them but I do not know why this error o_O I would be grateful if someone could advise as I really do like NOD but do not like this error :'(

Edit: I think I have found out why. I was using XPSmoker to clean up temp.files/index.dat etc I left all the files in my bin to make sure before deleting completely. I found a temp belonging to NOD - restored it to the temp folder - re-booted and no error from NOD :) I should have re-booted after looking at NOD's settings before using Smoker as this file must have been in use.

Hopefully this has solved the problem as NOD is really excellent and will be my AV of choice very soon. Sorry for panic post :oops:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  21. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I say go for it. I haven't used NOD32 full-time for very long, mainly because their support used to suck. But lately, it has improved very considerably, both here and via email. Combine that with the excellent performance of the product itself, and you can't go wrong.

I do have problems using IMON with HTTP, but I've chosen to simply disable it completely; a solution that works for me.

22. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks nameless, I am working with the trial and getting to know the bits of it etc but already have 2 friends installing the trial version to see for themselves ;) updates worked perfectly today and I am not usually one for auto updating but NOD worked away without me knowing.

I will have to read about IMON and HTTP and what effect this could have to my browsing o_O Thanks for the info on the support given - great support on this forum which is really good for specific advice and screenshots for setting up. I would say if everything continues the way it is working now I will be purchasing the full version before the 30days are over. Hopefully my friends will be as impressed as I am ;)

I really do not like to install trials of one or two AV's or anything for that matter just stay with the software I know but I am so glad through this forum I did decide to trial NOD.

23. tony64

tony64 Registered Member

I've been using it sonce 4 months know. Wise decision of mine and good money spent !

Updates are frequent and automatic
    No fancy bu......it
    Easy to use with the excellent Blackspear settings, and by the way the Default settings go just fine
    It is not a cash eater

WELCOME IN OUR CLUB !! :D

Tony

24. Buzkashi player

Buzkashi player Registered Member

I'm using the NT Trial version and it works wonders, no issues, no lags, nothing, and catches the nasties very well. It runs incredibly smoothly in my arcaic k6-2 :eek: machine, all other av products i tried slowed it to almost absolute zero, only f-prot, kav and avast were somewhat smooth, but they used lots of memory (kav and avast) or slowed down application start (all of them). I hope it never surrender to the temptations of the Bloat Side.

Give it a try, you won't regret it. :-*

25. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have to admit NOD is the only AV which updates itself without me getting there first ;) I update all my security software before doing anything else when I boot and the few days I have been testing NOD it has updated before I reach the keyboard :)

Thanks for letting me know it can catch nasties well - I never hope to have any at all but NOD runs so quickly that I really do forget it is there which made me wonder :rolleyes: I do not like to use the test Virus but want to have the confidence that if anything did arrive NOD would catch it. I would rather not se any alert from NOD as I never have with any of my AV software - just need to know it is keeping me as safe as possible.

I hope to be joining the full NOD club very soon Tony ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.