Connections from Game Servers Upon Reboot

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by bilo, Sep 26, 2015.

1. bilo

bilo Registered Member

I am just curious about getting hits from an online game server upon reboot, when as far as I know nothing from said game loads upon bootup. I narrowed it down to it only happening in the circumstance of an improper shutdown.

It's a 2004 Novalogic game (JointOps), and to play the client logs you into Novaworld.com and there are privately hosted servers to choose from. I noticed this after the game freezes the machine; Upon reboot, LNS reports several attempts on the game's port and the private server's IP address, then later on Novaworld.com. This does not happen if exiting the game normally and rebooting. Normally, there is never activity from the game or it's servers in my firewall logs unless playing the game.

At first I was alarmed, but after doing tests in random servers with both proper and improper shutdowns, I pinned down the behavior. But I don't understand why.

Is it simply because on the server side, the game thinks I'm still in, and it's still trying to ping my machine?

I know this isn't Look n Stop specific, but I figured you guys would know.

Also, whether this is normal behavior or not, there are talk of backdoors in this old and poorly patched game. Are there any ways to protect my machine while still playing?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.