Connection questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have a program (EMSA Bandwidth Monitor) that expresses my upload & download speeds in terms of "KBps". I am paying my IPS for a certain speed, but it is expressed as "mbps"

I *think* "KBps" means "kilobytes per second" and "mbps" means "megabits persecond."

Questions:

1- Am I correct in my definitions of KBps & mbps? If not, what are the correct meanings?

2- Can anyone tell me the formula for accurately converting from KBps to mbps?

Aloha from Hawaii,
    bellgamin

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's right, you got it. Now, to convert, take your ISP stated upload and download speed (like 10Mbps download, 1Mbps upload) and divide by 8 to go from Mbps to Kbps. On the connection example I gave, 10Mpbs is 10,000 Kbps, so just go from there. I hope I helped (and I hope I'm correct, I did look it up. This is how I've always done it with uTorrent).

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yep, 8 bits per byte

5. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Although deviding by 8 is technically correct, deviding by ten is more practical.

So 10Mpbs = 10240Kbps = 1024KBps (rather than 1280KBps)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.