Connection issues after messing with HOST file

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chrisdab, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisdab

chrisdab Guest

I have a problem with my internet connection lately from just one computer in my house. When dloading from emule even if its a small amount, I lose the ability to browse or connect with any other program. I have also noticed when using Firefox browser that when a separate tab is downloading a page the browser hangs for a second while it waits for that page to load. I dont notice any of these problems on my second computer.

I noticed these problems after trying to HOST files for IP blocking. I followed the Wilders Security Post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=78363 on blocking host IPs but I dont know if I messed up or what went wrong.

1) While I didnt save my host file when I copied the BISS host file, I think the generic (127.0.0.1 localhost) would be fine right? That is what I am using now for my host file.

2) I also altered Run > services.msc > DNS Client Properties in order to work with the big host file. I had set it to disabled but I now set it to automatic once I went back to the 127.0.0.1 localhost file. I am also not sure if I also altered the DHCP Client Properties on accident but that is also set to automatic.

I tried searching the internet for answers but cant find any, so if you can help me your awesome.

Thanks

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

"127.0.0.1 localhost" is the default line the hosts file.

The default for both DNS Client and DHCP Client is Automatic.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. chrisdab

chrisdab Guest

UPDATE: I finally found out the problem I was having. When I changed the DNS Client Properties, it reset the max connections for tcpip.sys back to 10. Win XP set a limit of 10 max concurrent connections in its SP2 update. More information can be found at www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497 or www.lvllord.de. I forgot that I changed my max connections many months ago, so I didnt know waht gimped my connection. I increased my max connections to unlimited and now my p2p downloads are back to turbo.

Chris

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

While the use of a hosts file for Windows may have entries dominated by 127.0.0.1 for wayward entries in order to block them, the hosts file can contain normal ip addresses for trusted entries to short circuit the use of DNS servers. Of course, the hosts file needs protection, normally Read-Only, but a HIPS can add an additional measure of protection to the read-only.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.