Coning and Imaging on the same disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rcktexas, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcktexas

rcktexas Registered Member

I am considering the following backup strategy:

1) Weekly I will create a clone.

2) I will also create an image on the same disk as the clone.

3) Each day I will incrementally backup to the same drive.

The problem is that after I have created the clone using the CD to run Acronis True Image, I cannot create the image because the disk assignment has become confused. Instead of my original C: and D:, I now have two drives with C: and other drives I have no clue about.

I suppose I could just reboot, but that's an extra step.

Can anyone explain what is going on.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rcktexas,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note, that there are two approaches available:
    Disk Clone - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another.
    Create Image - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes.
    Please read more in the following FAQ article.

Disk Clone approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive, while Create Image approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes.

There is no need to use both approaches at the same time, since it is quite enough to create an image if you want to protect your system.

However, if you want to clone your hard drive then we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, because two identical hard drives may cause some boot problems. Please note that your PC will shut down automatically in order to let you to unplug one of the drives.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. rcktexas

rcktexas Registered Member

Alex-

Thank you for your timely reply.

I found out about the clone disk problem and spent 2 days/nights trying to figure it out. Then I posted an inquiry on this forum and Menorcaman provided the solution

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=93843&goto=newpost

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

The problem, however, only happened when the two disks were the same model. If I used different models, even from the same manufacturer, there was no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.