Congratulations Eset

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Thankful, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

Very good news! I hope it will rise to position 1 soon!

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Everything taken into account, the retrospective tests too, ESET are doing a fantastic job. It's such a well balanced product that has never once given me a problem. Well worth the outlay.

4. Steel

Steel Registered Member

Completely in such a way NOD result does not inspire me honestly said. Only place 7. :eek: I find rather the development into raking of other programs really amazing.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You should not take into account what position NOD32 is comparated to other participating vendors but you must take into account :
    The rating/award -> Advanced+
    Scan speed
    False positive rate
    Improvement from previous times
    Samples (you really don't know what they contain , they could be some not so malicious soft . ESET add samples on priority bases and they do their best to keep the bases "clean" of stupid stuff and garbage)

Even though NOD32 is number 7 comparad to other vendors in the test , other things play essential role , too . Example , in 2006 both ESET and G-data have 4 Advanced+ awards . G-data's detection rate is generally higher in AV-Comparative's tests but ESET became AV for 2006 (overall winner) . G-Data didn't become AV no1 for 2006 because of variout other important reasons (no matter its detection rate was higher than ESET's)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd also add that there is one AV that copies detection from us. If we report an FP, they do it shortly after us as well. If we rectify it, they won't :) Blindly picking up signatures without analysing files can do more harm even if an AV ranks higher than we in these tests.

7. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Why should we not take into account at what place a program is? Why on earth are all these testsites using ratings?
    Maybe not important for the 'Wilders' fans and the Nod32 freaks and resellers, but why don't you ever think of just 'plain' people, surfing the web and looking for any information about a security program! I am quite sure, that most people (not familiar with Wilders or any security forum) look for a review and therefore most likely stumble upon a test site with 'ratings'.
    In the stores, people mostly tell you, that Norton or Kaspersky are no. 1 and advice you to buy that!!!
    So, I think that rating is important for the allround information and we know it will give a twisted result, but I am always thinking of the average computer user looking for a scanner and sure as hell, they use the ratings!!!!
    Another thing..........does your neighbour know what a FP is? Think about that!
    Finally......I believe in Nod32, but it sure as hell is not 'the only' scanner around and you know that very well, but when you are selling this stuff, it's hard not to praise it into heaven. Amen!

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't know .

These people have no idea of computer security to look in reviews for software and this is their own problem . And , I just learned something new for me - I am NOD32 freak :D

And by the way , here in Wilders there are a few member who are very accurate example of what these avegare people/users think . They change their security software on every new review , on every blow , just like a kid changes their toy.

No , they don't . Really , No offence but that's why their computer is full of spyware (I am talking about my neighboar living two levels below me) and the fact he doesn't know what FP is is completely his own problem :thumb:

;)

9. Big Apple

All I'm saying is: Why always taking things for granted when it comes to Nod32? Ofcourse it's everybody's own responsibility regarding security, but the same people are buying security software and very often look for a review on the web and then they'll find (most likely) a nice story with pictures and RATINGS and then they run to the local reseller. I have met very few shops who ever even heard of Nod32!

So.....if pc's are full of ****.....their owners are not buying the proper security programs or updating it properly or whatever, beacuse most of them don't have a clue!

That's why ratings are IMPORTANT and why still praising the hell out of Nod32 even when it stands on 7 th place.
    Norton isn't bad at all, you know! It's not fair bashing the ratings, just because of Nod32 being your hobby!

Another funny thought: .........I wonder how many people are congratulating Norton or Kav!!
    It really makes me feel a little sick!

10. Marcos

Let's say that the first AV detects 1,000,000 viruses, the 2nd 1,999,990, the 3rd 1,999,975, etc. Is the rank so important in this case? What if the first AV detects 99% of all laboratory samples that will never get to users but only 70% of in-the-wild threats that a normal user can run into compared to the n-th AV with the zoo/in-the-wild ratio 30/99 ? I can say that we receive dozens of thousands unique samples on a daily basis so these tests will never cover most malware available. Every test a man performs (regardless of whether it's AV test or a wash machine test) never covers eveything available. What actually matters is how a particular product performs in real life.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You missed one thing and I think you'll be right if it looks like that:

That's why ratings are IMPORTANT for marketing

Ratings are important for marketing purpose only. I believe you'll agree they are not important at all for the security . With detectin rate 87% , 89% , 93% , 97% or 100% , NOD32 will be the same product , its qualities won't change . The same applies to all vendors/products . Real world is always different from tests (I have learned this the hard way during my IT practise although it is not so big)

I am bashing the ratings, no.
    Norton's detection rate is not as bad as "lamers" make it look like but the program itself is different thing . :)

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been watching the members here at wilders for a long time, and sometimes it really almost makes me laugh . AV-Comparatives is generally accepted as the most accurate and trusted site by the members here. And they wait with baited breath for the next release of test results hoping that their favorite AV will be No.1. But when the results are released and their favorite comes in somewhere in the middle of the pack the first thing they do is start defending their av and accusing the test bed of being not the best quality. but what you must remember is that all of the other av's were tested on the same test bed, and if they did better than yours it is a pretty good indicator that they have a better detection capability. If you are going to watch these test sites you either have to give them some trust that they know what they are doing or don't look at the results at all if you think they are flawed because your favorite didn't put in a sterling performance. For goodness sake guys, it is just software:(

bigc

13. Big Apple

It's just Software......right and appreciate your clear statement. ;)

14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I personally trust AV-Comparatives most than any other tester . What I was trying to say is something IBK already said , but I did it a little bit differently . Detection rate is not the onliest thing that one should consider when choosing his/her security software . Even they advise the readers of the reports to trial any product . I guess you get what I am talking about .

Nope , we were discussing the number 1s , we were talking about these who are already in the highest possible (Advanced+) , not in the middle :D :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

see the forums of kav, avast, avira, etc. - in the eset forum its more likely you find congratulations to eset.

16. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

YES! Because that tester would be a moron to put a AV which detects almost one million less viruses on place 1, were the 2nd and 3rd place detects double of it :D

17. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Typo here??
    Rob

18. Marcos

Of course :D Remove "1," for the 2nd and 3rd.

19. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I think this thread, particularly Inspector Clouseau's posts, should be forcibly read to people before commenting on any AV test!:D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=182305

20. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

As the OP, I was simply congratulating Eset for its result on the latest Comparative. I never said it was better or worse than any other AV product.

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Well said. After spending some time here...I swear some people start loosing sleep a week or two out of nervous nailbiting anticipation before AV results are expected to come out.

Tests go up and down, software brands take their turn in the spotlight. I find the results of the tests interesting for..oh..30 seconds, and then move on to more important things in the real world.

22. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

agree with yeolde/bigc73542
    the measure of an AV is how it's going to perform for YOU in your typical usage - the zoo detections are only one measure, and hardly typical of any "average" user's daily usage of an AV/AT solution.

Simply using a single test from a lab to decide on which AV/AT to use is moronic - it should be ONE of MANY deciding factors - those that jump from AV to AV because of a test result should be discounted as having little or no value to their opinion - they are fools unto themselves, as the measure of your protection lies in the layers and the long term results of a company - one bad test does not make a bad product.

"Real" world example - a food manufacturer does not decide to make a different food if they test their product for impurities and find something - they simply remove the batch, investigate to ensure a repeat of that particular problem can not re-occur, then continue processing and continue testing.

One bad test does NOT write off the whole company and it's procedures - if that were true, you would NEVER be eating anything prepared in anyone's kitchen except your own - you would have to do everything, including butcher your own meat!!!

Trust me - a "bad" result for an AV in a respected test is NOT ignored by the AV company - they analyze it to death and improve on what went wrong, you can bet ANYTHING that they do not want to slip overall, because a large scale defection of their renewal user-base could/would be catastrophic.

For ME - the adv. heuristics are the key - variants of known threats are my biggest problem (via email - as I manage hundreds of mail domains) - and for ME - that, plus the low system foot print was the two deciding matters - enough to warrant becoming a reseller (and we resell a LOT of NOD32).

I have no problem with people deciding that NOD32 is not for them - we routinely refund purchases for people who haven't the where-withall to follow the instructions that come with the license. That's ok - it is far better to refund for someone who is challenged by entering the username/password - they have NO HOPE of going through the advanced settings to beef up their protection!

The new GUI will undoubtedly make ownership of NOD32 a lot easier and that will cut down on the number of purchasers who decide that NOD32 isn't for them (some of which are seriously computer challenged - computing really isn't for them!). Hopefully, NOD32 will fit these kinds of users' needs a little better, and we'll spend a lot less time explaining details to users - but those that still don't understand that the username/password is CASE SENSITIVE will really be in trouble - I have just had a brain-wave though - I'll add it to the "wish list" - if NOD32 was to FORCE CASE for username/password, ie, username is UPPER CASE - and password is LOWER CASE - that might help some of the problems.

We're also seeing a lot of purchases from people who "were recommended" to get NOD32 buy a friend/neighbor/some kid etc - we tend to get a lot of phone calls from people who purchased a boxed version of NOD32 and who want support - interesting phone calls when you find out that some igenious MicroCenter employee decides to print OUR 800# for support on a sticker and attach to the product instead of Eset's phone number!

Anyway - that's a little of my perspective - we face many hundreds of purchasers a week - we are exposed to the "pain" faced by many NOD32 users - and quite simply, many of the purchasers have NOT decided on NOD32 for themselves - they are simply following a recommendation - I know full well that many are P2P junkies (they tell us as much) - and they are likely to be screaming and shouting in 10-11 months that NOD32 let them down - completely oblivious to the fact that NO AV solution would ever protect them from themselves when they dally with such potential for infection...~Snip. Off topic comment removed~ .. oh well... your tough luck in my opinion!!!

[/rant]

cheers

Greg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2007
  23. xandros

xandros Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  24. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Higher detection rate doesn't make an AV better, there are more things involved... ;)

25. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Did you even read what I posted just before you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.