Confusion over 2-User Renewal

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by john smith, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john smith

john smith Registered Member

I'm running this by here before contacting support just in case I'm missing something silly.

My wife's PC's NOD32 V3 was about to expire, mine has a year to go, so we decided to get the 2-user Renewal and save a little money.

She got her order confirmation for a 2-Year, 2-User renewal, followed by an e-mail authorizing her to install and run the AV on "1 Computer until 10/18/10" with one user name and one password. We didn't re-install, just plugged in the new name and number with good effect.

Have we misunderstood? How do I apply the renewal to my NOD32 on my computer? Will the 2 years be added to my orig. expiration date if I can get
    a new name and number?

John Smith, puzzled once again.

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

renewals must be for the same number of licenses as you had previously - so it seems that you ordered a license you were not entitled to order (because the license username was a single workstation) - and the ESET ordering system issued the license as a single workstation again.

You should contact ESET customer support - they are the ONLY ones to have the power to put this right, but they might NOT - because their policy is that you can not upgrade at renewal.

3. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Weird. I'm sure i and others have added PCs to our licences at renewal time perfectly fine. In fact, i did. I had one license on this PC and decided to resurrect an old PC for backups and so i had a spare PC. At renewal i took the option to add a second license to my 1 PC license and got a valid 2 PC licence.

However i feel john smith is trying to use the second license to try and extend the license on his PC, which still has a year to go so it'll run out in just under 3 years time. It doesn't work that way. On the day you buy the license it's issued with an expiry date exactly one / two / three year(s) in advance. When you renew that license it is extended for another one / two / three year(s) from the date of expiry. You can't buy 2 one year licenses and join them together to make a 2 year license. You'll only have a license until the newest one expires in a years time. i.e. if you have a license which is 2 weeks old you can't buy another license to make it one year and 50 weeks long. If you use the new license you'll only gain an extra 2 weeks as the license starts another new year long license.

I've seen this sort of thing before when helping customer buy NOD32. The confirmation email is correct but the license email and the invoice can have all sorts of order details, however the amount charged is always correct.

I think so. If the license is a 2 PC license you use the same user-name and password on each machine, HOWEVER they will both expire 2 years from the date you bought it. The extra year you had remaining will be lost or needs to be transfered to another PC. You can't add the two licenses together to make a multiple year licence.

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

U.S. and Canadian customers can contact ESET's sales department toll-free at +1 (866) 343-3738 for assistance with license renewals, enlargements, upgrades and other license-related activity.

For other countries, check with your reseller or distributor.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. john smith

john smith Registered Member

Thanks all for your contributions; we have a customer support request in for clarification via the ESET contact page.

I think the responses show that there is some room for confusion. If my wife wasn't eligible to increase from a one to a two-user license, that might have been indicated on the renewal/upgrade page. If I lose a bit of my original time and expire two years from the 18th, I haven't lost any money, really, over a separate renewal later.

I just wrote "I'm hesitant to plug the license info into two computers until confirmed by ESET, though, since the instructions were explicit."

ESET Customer Service was quicker than I thought! My wife said she'd gotten the reply, and that's indeed what we do. Plug the info into each computer; Great job, ESET!

The confusion does not diminish ESET the slightest in my view; I've used it for many years, much longer than I've belonged to this forum, and it's just the best AV out there. My opinion, of course!

John S.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.