Confusion about .NET Framework versions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Aaron Here, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

An application I'm interested in requires .NET Framework 2.0, so since I have .NET Framework 3.5 installed (but not v2.0) shouldn't this latest version suffice? :doubt:

2. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Yes it should. .NET 3.5 includes 2.0.

3. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Applications written specifically for .NET Framework 2.0 will not work with .NET Framework 3.5, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about the technical details behind this, but you can bet there are major differences between the two. Hence, the need for you to install v2.0.

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Aaron, .NF 3.5 is backwards compatible with all .NF's back to and including v2.0, although not with v1.0 or 1.1. So you should be ok, but you will know for sure when you try to install that app. ;)

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Jo Ann,

Does that mean I can uninstall .NF 2.0 Service Pack 1 and .NF 3.0 Service Pack 1 after having already installed .NF 3.5?

Many thanks,

Silver

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It would be off-topic for me to say that I will not use anything that requires dot net. So I won't say it. :ninja:

8. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

May I ask why?

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Confusion is the word when it comes to .NET Framework versions and as I understand it (please do correct me if I'm wrong), you need to have all versions installed in order to use older software programs that were built using legacy .NET versions.

This article: How to set an IIS Application or AppPool to use ASP.NET 3.5 rather than 2.0, although dealing with server software, gives an explanation of the different .NET versions (look under Marketing), that I'm still muddling through in trying to understand it all. You'll also see the different versions installed in this person's PC.

Nevertheless, just in case someone wants to rebuild their .NET Framework versions, below you'll find all the MS links, including a .NET Cleanup tool, should Add/Remove won't clean up old remnants. Windows Update should also show the same versions, if installed incrementally from scratch:

.NET Framework Version 1.1
    .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
    .NET Framework Version 2.0
    .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
    .NET Framework 3.0
    .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1
    .NET Framework 3.5
    .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
    Removal tool to fix .NET Framework install failures

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just install your app and see what happens. If it needs something, it'll either tell you, or won't work.

I have all of them installed on Vista all the way back to 1.0.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Love it or hate it, .Net allows devs to make one app for x32 or x64 due to its JIT feature, this makes it convenient for those looking for x64 apps and backewards compatible for x32 users as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.