Confused!

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by tutankamon, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

I have been visiting this forum in an effort to have my problems solved, and looking at other users problems, in general, getting to know more about TDS3
    Whilst I find the forum very helpful I am a bit confused about:-
    What is karma, and how do you get it? What are cookies awarded for? some initials are used such as `lol` what does that mean? Is there a glossary of this `shorthand`, if not, can we have one?
    sorry about all the question marks, but I am really confused.
    Thank you in advance for any help offered.

2. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hi
    WELCOME!!!!

I am new here to as far as Karma I am not sure but lol means (Laughing Out Loud)

Best Regards,

FireDancer :D

3. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Tut!

Karma is a feature of the forum software whereby users can click the "applause" link for another user to show their appreciation of some post or remark. Each applause raises the "karma" of that user one point.

As far as things like lol or rofl the following site is handy

http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=lol

Once you are at the site you can replace URL string after the equal sign to another string (for instance "rofl") and it will search that.

Alternatively, you can save the string below as the URL of a new bookmark and call that bookmark "Lookup NetLingo" and when you click on that bookmark it will prompt for the string you want to lookup and then take you to the definition if one is available on that site.

javascript:void(str=prompt('Word or phrase to lookup:'));void(location=('http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term='+str));

HTH :)

Dan

4. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

BTW,

I just tested that bookmarklet script and when saving it in IE it comes up with en error saying that javascript is not a registered program but this can be ignored as the saved bookmark will work fine. I know it works fine in Opera and suspect it should work in Netscape :)

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Or see the site FAQ: on Karma. ;)

Since this is a general question, not related to TDS, I'm going to move this thread to the General Topics forum section.

6. tutankamon

tutankamon Registered Member

confused=update

Hello again, thanks to FireDancer,Dan Perez, and Low Water Mark, fpr your quick response. I went to the netlingo site using I.E. 6 got through no problem. I am now a much wiser chappie, thanks again. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.