confused

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by scarecrow, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scarecrow

scarecrow Registered Member

i was surfing the net and suddenly i got a blue screen full of text of which i could only glimpse 'any windows updates you may need' and then it blinked out and shut down and rebooted. zone alarm came up asking me if i took enough care to prevent viruses and offering me the pro version, and windows said it had covered from a 'serious system error'.

the next time i booted, it said my current settings did not allow active x so the page may not display properly. on this active desktop recovery screen, there's a blank transparent square that looks as if there was a picture on my desktop but it cannot be displayed for some reason. but i never had any. everytime i boot i get this now.

i ran avast, avg, spybot, ewido and adaware in safe mode and they found nothing. what would you advise?

thanks in advance.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Unfortunately some programs have error messages programed in that kind of assume that a crash could only be due to one thing. MSN messenger, for example, gives error messages saying your firewall has blocked it anytime it can't connect. I would recommend turning off the auto-restart by going into the Control Panel > System, go to the Advanced tab, click the Settings button under "Startup and Recovery", then take the check out of "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. Then just wait until the next blue screen. If you have a real problem, there will be another. I wouldn't be too alarmed about malware, though, at least not yet. If you get another blue screen, look for any kind of filename. Otherwise write down any stop code you get and try googling the first set (the set not in parenthesis), but write down the others too.

3. scarecrow

scarecrow Registered Member

Thank you, Notok.

I've been unable to get online for about a month now. It's been like this:

To get rid of the error message i was advised to do a system restore and i did so.

Trouble is, i was stupid enough to choose exactly that time to mess with 'services' settings. The result was, the cmp didn't see my modem. So i again did a system restore, it now did see the modem, but would forever be 'acquiring network addresses'. I returned all the services to defaults, except that these services was in defaults list and not on my computer:

internet connection sharing
    upload managr
    utility manager

Here's the problem as i can see it: Dhcp and tcp/ip netbios helper services cannot be started/ [error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start.]

What do i do?

Thanks in advance.

[it's really very urgent for me and it'd be great if i could find a solution to this today, as i'm not on my own computer, please.]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.