Confused with all the security options...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by fannymites, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

Well I've disabled some my theming programs, including Objectbar.
    Now whenever I try to launch anything from the start menu or taskbar SSM is fine, now it's ProcessGuard that's that freezing everything. I've set it to learning mode but on startup learning mode is turned off again.
    Also, every other boot up, SSM is stopping PG from loading pgaccount.exe, even though I've set it to always allow.
    So my next job is to disable logon studio to see if that is causing shutdown problems or affecting the order of startup programs.
    Since I disabled Objectbar I've also noticed that I can get MJRegWatcher working which hasn't worked before. I would rather use this and have the SSM plugins disabled because SSM automatically blocks most programs I want to run legitimately on startup and the box disappears before i can change it.
    On my next boot, all themeing programs will be disabled so I'll see if everything plays nicely.
    In a strange, frustrating kind of way, all this fiddling around with these programs is almost as much fun as theming.
    I'm now seriously considering giving up on Objectbar. I reckon I've had my money's worth by now. It just causes so many niggling problems with so many programs.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I would not try to run SSM and PG simulataneously. They could very easily step on each other's toes and create conflicts - especially when a real piece of malware raises its head. If SSM is working for you and it is adequate, I would not bother with ProcessGuard - and vice-versa.

Rich

3. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

Well at the moment neither is working properly, even when only one is running.
    Now I've disabled all my theming programs, the computer is taking around 20 minutes to shut-down.
    Also, even with SSM disabled MJRegWatcher and PG are not loading on startup.
    Well, part of PG is loading but not all of it.
    Once I have all the problems sorted out I was planning to re-install Windows but it looks like I may have to do that sooner than planned.
    Another question then. I wanted SSM for it's application launch control so if a trojan launched another program to access the net it would be caught.
    So am I right in thinking that the trojan would have to execute itself before executing another program? If that is the case then ProcessGuard alone should catch it and I wouldn't need SSM at all.

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

SSM is beta and Object Desktop is "bleeding-edge" causing more problems than Stardock's other products, to judge from their forums. You may be better off with just Process Guard and considering a registry monitor (either a poller or RegDefend)

5. Paranoid2000

Any malware has to be executed first to have any effect. PG/SSM will catch any executable files so will cover most situations. The only areas they don't address are scripts/macros (a good anti-virus or software like Script Sentry can address this along with DiamondCS' WormGuard) and DLL files (but to modify these, an executable has to be run). ActiveX is another area but should only be a problem if you are using Internet Explorer without web filtering.

Finally there are programs that can run others - having these set to "Always allow" could allow other programs to run without your authorisation. Examples include javaw.exe (Java applications) and rundll.exe (runs a DLL as a program). These are best set to Allow Once so you are prompted whenever they are run.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Paranoid 2000,

For clarification purposes:

I am running ProcessGuard, RegDefend, WormGuard, and Kaspersky. Do I also need Script Sentry to close any holes? If so, which hole will Script Sentry close? Thanks much.

Rich

7. Paranoid2000

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the link.

Rich

9. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Rich , yes for newbies like yourself it's not recommended. But configured correctly, SSM + PG is a very powerful combo, that is better than PG alone.

But I estimate it adds maybe 0.001% more protection, which is important since my computer holds secrets of the universe.

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Still looking for the boxing match?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.