Confused by what settings File system filter / Kernel affect

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by edwin3333, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

What is the difference between the ESET KERNEL setup and the File System filter setup? I seem to have two sets of duplicate options and I don't understand what the difference is.

(This is under the eSET Kernel setup;
    nocleaning.png

But that's not the real time filter -- so what is it? ThreatSense engine appears to be the realtime scanner and is the file system filter settings. Very confusing.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The real-time file system protection settings are for the real-time , on-access protection .

The kernel settings are for the start-up scans settings.

text.png

By the way , run a full Standart scan on the computer you took the screenshot from . It shows you have very old file infection in your documents from A:\ device , perhaps the floppy. Scan the diskettes , too.

3. edwin3333

Ok, thank you. The "very old file infection" -- I have a write protected floppy disk with test viruses I use to verify things are working correctly... It's always best to verify one's settings. At one time we had tried Cheyenne Inoculan & Softrack installed together. Testing revealed that Softrack replaced Inoculan's hooks for realtime scanning leaving us with no realtime antivirus. My motto; test test test.

Thanks!

4. edwin3333

Ok, so I'm still confused.

I installed NOD32 onto a new server. Then later I realized that NOD32 was scanning the entire network. Every drive letter.

I don't see why.

esafe1.png

esafe2.png

esafe3.png

esafe4.PNG

I don't have any scan targets for In Depth scan. It appears In Depth is the default profile for scanning. I only have one scheduled scan.

It appears the default for in depth is no scan targets per looking at another PC off this LAN, one not managed by me.

What do I need to do so that my PC's aren't scanning the LAN when doing a scheduled scan like this?

5. edwin3333

Here it is showing that it's scanning everything on this station..
    esafe7.png

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi again!

Note that the on-demand scan (and its settings) are different from the kernel ones or from the real-time protection ones.

What you need to do is to reconfigure your scheduled task . At the end , change to "Local drives" as shown in this picture or manually check the drive letters you would like to be scanned.

1.png

2.png

This can be done with both the ERA (Configuration editor-> Computer scan -> Profile ~name~ -> Setup -> Scan targets ) or from the GUI of the workstation's EAV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.