Confused about proper way to Clone a HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ronl, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

I downloaded the users manual of ATI 9.0 and am confused on the proper way to Clone my HD.

I have a single 120GB WD hooked up on the primary IDE cable as a master, it is jumper-ed as cable select.

I have a new Seagate 160GB Sata 2 HD being delivered tomorrow. I want to use this drive as my primary, and save the data on my 120 WD after the Cloning process.

The manual recommends using automatic mode over manual, but I have some questions.

1. Should I use auto or manual?
    2. Should I change the jumper on the WD 120, and how about the Sata HD, should I hook that up as secondary or master?
    3. The forum recommends not rebooting with both drives hooked up after the cloning process is completed, will the program give this option at the end of the process?
    4. Will I be able to make a perfect Clone from the new Sata drive after replacing the 120 WD as my primary drive?
    5. If I upgrade my motherboard in the future to a Sata 2, will I be able to use the new Sata drive in the new MB? I use an AGP video card now and it looks like the new boards do not use AGP anymore, will a new card make any difference on the new Sata drive working with a MB upgrade?
    6. I guess this goes along with #5, how about memory upgrade?

Sorry about all the questions but I don't want to make any mistakes. I get a little apprehensive after reading some of the posts on here, and this is all new to me.

Thanks for any guidance,

Ron

2. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

A couple of points I left out.

I have version 3567 installed on windows 2000 pro w/ sp4.

If either support or someone knowledgeable could answer my questions, I would appreciate it.

Ron

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I'll offer a couple of points. If you change your mobo, then you will need to at least run a repair install of Windows so that it will install the drivers for the new hardware.

If I was putting in a new mobo, I'd do a clean install after first backing up my data and then I'd restore my data files.

It doesn't matter if a HDD is jumpered as cable select or master or slave as far as whether it clones right. Set the jumpers to master slave according to how the drive will be installed when you do the clone. Or set it to cable select. If you set it to slave then use the clone as your main drive, you will need to reset the jumpers to master or cable select. The jumper settings only affect how the mobo port addresses the drdive, not how the software works. IF you use the cable select settings then you don't have to worry about the master slave settings -- the hardware port will detect drive position and know how to address it.

If you clone a windows drive to another drive, then after cloning you must shut down and remove one of the drives. Either drive is then a copy of the other and bootable. Otherwise, windows will mark one drive as the boot or system drive drive and the other as a non-boot or non-system drive.

Once you boot up with the new clone drive onthe cable in the master position, you should be able to shut down and install the old drive onthe cable in slave positon and reboot and the new drive will still function as the boot drive. You can then delete any or all files from the old drive and use it how you will.

Oh, and use manual settings in ATI so you can tell it to automatically resize when it clones. Be sure to clone the whole drive, all partitions and to delete the existing partitions on the target drive.

There's more stuff inthe archives if your patient and search for threads re cloning such as this short thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=131703

Hope that helps,
    sh

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  4. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

here are "my" answers to your question...that is how I would do it...
    I would like to have control over EVERY step of the process, so: manual

You can leave the jumper on the WD and SATA has no master or slave feature. You can connect only one drive to each controller....so connect the new drive to first SATA controller and make shure the appropriate drivers are installed.

Disable the SATA-Controller Bios, boot up and clone the drive. Now shutdown the system, disconnect the old drive and enable the SATA controller bios. Boot up and take a look at your system (the old drive is untouched and now a worst case backup)

A Programm can't disconnect your drives....you have to take out the cables by yourself...;-)

of course..

You will be able to use your drive, however you have to either pre-inject the SATA drivers of your new mainboard (if it is a different controller chip) or use the Universal Restore feature of TrueImage (if licensed). The Rest of the upgrades has no influence...(you may must re-activate your windows)

Greetings

Volker

5. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

Hi Volker,

I followed your instructions, I could not find the Sata-Controller in my Bios. I installed the OEM Sata drive and booted with the 3567 boot disk, I used manual and the program stated that it was a success after it finished. I removed the boot disk and shut the computer down, I disconnected the WD120 HD and reboot the computer.

It showed the windows 2000 logo and that it was starting, a blue screen came up and stated Stop: Inaccessible_Boot_Device.

I went into Bios and my HDD is the number 3 boot order, and set on HDD1. I tried HDD2, and SCSI to no avail.

My stomach was in knots, but my WD120 is okay.

Can anyone help me with what is wrong.

Ron

6. Ronl

Ronl Registered Member

A couple of other comments to my above post.

I could not see the Sata Drive before I cloned to it, but it showed up when I put the boot disk in and started the clone menu in ATI 9.0.

I cannot find the newly cloned Sata Drive in my Bios, but I believe the cloning process was successful.

Does either tech support or anyone else have any suggestions on what may be wrong?

Ron

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Go back into the BIOS and look more carefully.

You may have to enable the SATA and you may have to allocate or disignate which drive is to the the primary, etc. Be sue both are on autoselect.

On mine, I had to do both the above in order for the SATA to work properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.