Conflicting apps : put 'em here

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by no13, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Just put 'em up here
    Just so that we know
    :::ninja:::
    I'll start

BitDefender Professional v8 (not professional plus - this came in a mag. cd) with Kaspersky AV Personal v5.0.149 - when both have real time scanning ON
    WebRoot SpySweeper and Armor2Net firewall (dunno why... worked just fine for over a month... my friend applied new spysweeper updates on his sytem on 22.10...bamn...system slowdown)

2. no13

forgot to add...

".....
    APPLICATIONS THAT ARE ENTIRELY INCOMPATIBLE WITH DESKTOP SEARCH:
    Unfortunately, there are also a few programs which are entirely incompatible with Desktop Search. If you are currently using one or more of these programs, you will not be able to also use Google Desktop Search. We do not recommend trying the fix described above. If you would like to use Desktop Search, you will need to entirely uninstall the other application. We realize this is an inconvenience and are working hard to resolve this problem.

- NOD32 AntiVirus
    - mclsp.dll (McAfee Privacy Service)
    - Vetredir.dll (VET Antivirus)
    - aslsp.dll (from Aventail)
    - stplayer.dll
    - Mwtsp.dll (V MicroWorld Escan/Mailscan)
    ....."

at http://desktop.google.com/support/b...py?answer=10742 after being redirected via the installer.

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hi no13,
    It seems like a good idea but there are some issues to consider before putting together a "list of conflicting apps". :)

- Less experienced users may assume there's a conflict if they're unable to get two programs working together, but a more experienced user may be able to identify that there's no problem and that it was just something the user was doing that was triggering the issue.

- Conflicts are often experienced by a minority of users, whereas the majority of users will be able to run two programs side-by-side without any problems even though some can't, so you couldn't really say "App1 conflicts with App2" simply because a minority experience that.

- Many conflicts only occur under certain conditions (for example you mentioned a KAV conflict if its real-time scanner was enabled).

- Conflicts are very specific. If App1 seems to "have a conflict" with App2 it doesn't mean they're 100% incompatible, usually it just means turning off a particular setting/feature in either of the two apps.

- System-specific issues can often come into play, such as hardware devices as well as the plethora of other programs installed on the machine.

- Many conflicts can be bypassed by modifying the programs configuration (ie. turning off a particular setting which may be responsible for the conflict).

- In some cases it's not even App1 or App2 that's the problem, but rather an existing file such as a system shared DLL file, and such files may have even come from other applications rather than App1 or App2.

That's just a few issues but more than enough for now. Conclusion: you need to be very careful when you definitively say "There's a conflict between App1 and App2" - you may be the only person experiencing it. :)

The recommended approach is to simply contact both vendors of App1 and App2 to check with both of them to see if they can confirm that there's a conflict, you're bound to get a decent answer from at least one of them. :)

Cheers,
    Wayne

4. no13

Oh. :-*

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Yes and I must apologise for raining on your party :)

If it was a simple matter of "App1 is 100% incompatible at all times with App2" and if that was the only situation that ever occurred then such a list would be easy to make and quite useful, but it's not quite that simple unfortunately ... :)

As a developer of security software (including the very low-level Process Guard) we often receive emails regarding potential conflicts, but in most cases it's not a conflict at all and can easily be resolved by changing program settings or uninstall/reinstalling, etc etc, so from the developers perspective it would be frustrating to see somebody saying that their program conflicts with another when that isn't the case, and from the users perspective they don't really want to hear about conflicts unless they've been confirmed as conflicts.

Anyway for a proper list you would probably need fields like ...
    - App1's name, URL
    - App2's name, URL
    - Description of the conflict, it's effects, etc
    - Affected versions of App1
    - Affected versions of App2
    - Vendor1's response
    - Vendor2's response
    - Workaround(s)
    Such a list would obviously need to be moderated, preferably by somebody with proper experience to handle such a thing, but it'd consume a lot of time, but one thing it does have on its side is that it's unique - I'm not aware of any such 'conflict lists'.

Anyway, just something to consider :)

6. no13

would you be willing to moderate such a list?
    Please?

7. no13

I don't wanna spread misinformation... but some other people may have reported Bitdefender vs Kaspersky conflicts... check it out before you head of to install both simultaneously
    Also... ZA v5 conflicts in a MAJOR way with Kerio. Has anyone else seen how it disrupts Kerio's functioning?
    For me, it was identical to a trojan messing with Kerio... And I don't like it when someone messes with apps whose configuration has cost me many hours.

8. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

NOD13

your's is a very good idea........unfortunately as wayne pointed out this could be a complicate matter.......what works for one person may never work for another person......experience plays a big part

Never try running two resident scanners....one should be "resident" and the other "on-demand"

Never use two firewalls at the same time....doing so will actually weaken your protection as the firewalls fight for STACK placement.

there are many "conflicts" users experience that are more related to a lack of experience...an not program conflicts in an of itself......an experienced person would know not to try running certain programs together.......an a person of less experience should improve their knowledge at a website such as this one..........
    Best of luck in trying to get the info you desire.......its a good idea.

TheSnowGuy/The Snowman

9. no13

hia snowman....
    you have an extra "d" there... I'm not related to NOD ... I use NAV by the way...
    Point taken though.

10. SSM user

SSM user Guest

Isn't there supposed to be a conflict between SSM and Prevx? That's what I heard anyway. I don't run them both so I couldn't be sure.

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

NO13

my apology for the mis-spelling of your "nic".....

12. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Have never tryed Prevx so can't say if there is any conflict.......great question though.........try contacting the VENDORS...an post their reply if you feel up to it.........alot of folks may be interested.

13. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

The question by SSM brings up a point........are the two products mention both in Start-Up an scanning at the same time......or is the conflict if there is one.....due to other reasonso_O Comments?

anytime two programs ment for the same purpose begin their scans at the same time.....usually they knock-heads.......

14. TheSnowMan

TheSnowMan Guest

There are five(5) internet/system cleaners on my machines....surprising its very common that one cleaner will catch something that the other cleaners missed.....definitely all five cleaners are not scanning at the same time......but all five are used daily...without conflict........the same is possible with anti-virus\trojan scanners...use one at a time....otherwise expect conflicts.......

Ok.....time for others to offer their input.......snowie prefers to just read these days....

TheSnowGuy/The Snowman

15. no13

err... is it the Stack in memory, or a networking thing?

16. memory///// "if I re-call correctly" lol

might be fun to research this issue NO13.....lots of people are no awear of it....or refuse to accept it as truth.......

17. no13

hold on... i don't understand why firewalls fight for stack position... is it when they start up that they jostle? or when they're in "active" mode? why do they want a particular order in the stack? Is it affecting their performance as firewalls?
    Many questions, not enough time, leaving the damn beige box for a 12 day period to cram... pathetic life... will post ansers if I find em.

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It would be like having 2 of any other kind of driver, they'll both be trying to do the same thing at the same time.. imagine two big bouncers at a slow club night insisting on exiting the same narrow door at the same time.. they'll end up fighting for the space instead of rushing out to stop the bad guy.

19. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

20. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

You think he's old enough to have been in a baro_O I thought no 13 was 13? Whatever, I sure appreciate no 13's enthusiasm!!
    They ask questions some people think of but, feel dumb asking!

So, thanks, no13 :D

How are you, Snowy:D

Marja:cool:

21. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

No 13, the other day, I decided I wanted to try a new anti-virus, so I installed it, (might be the wrong order I did, too:doubt:) anyway, when I went to un-install AVG, it refused to!
    It said it had an un-healed virus in the vault, so it wasn't going anywhere!

And Avast!, evidently, wanted to fight it out! Made me very nervous, I never thought AVG would "refuse" to go, it all worked out in the end, but, my puter just shut down in the middle of it all, that was "good" lesson for me.

Luck on your thread!!

Marja:cool:

22. Dear Friend Marja.....so really nice to see you here.....got to missing everyone....had a couple of days to surf....so came year to continue making a fool of myself.....LOL

an how are you......whatca been doing.....

ah No13 is smart...alert...an most likely will soon be teaching us...until then....NO13 best hit those books!!!!!

an you Marja...take only the very best of care of yourself....you deserve it. I'll be droping out of sight again soon.....my trademark lol....but with christmass nearing....us snowman will soon be spreading the cheer....an freezing as we stand tall in someone's front year....

23. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Marja

wow...just finished testing those two av's....had both installed....un-installed without problems.....had to be the virus you had....

so..did you make sure the un-install was completeo_O

24. no13

Ladies and gents....
    I'm most certainly old enough to enter bars... I just am allergic to alcohol intake.
    I am scheduled to undergo CCNA next summer (watch out in decmber2005, you may be looking at a CCNA or .NET approved, new and improved no13)
    Till then, I have 17 network hacking/security books to keep me occupied.

25. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

golly gee......NO13 I'll have to start calling you MR. No13......very impressive ranking there NO13.....but guess what:

YOU BEST START HITTING THOSE BOOKS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>an make us all proud......good luck......next year huh.....doubt that I'll be around....so will say to you now........you did a good job........an you will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.