Conflict between TI8 and Symantec?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kcvale, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

System Info:
    WindowsMe laptop running TI 8 build #826; I use Symantec Internet Security (firewall and antivirus) & Norton Utilities installed but run manually.

OK, a while back I posted here about my computer locking up while trying to create an image. Once I was able to create an image I was unable to 'check' the image without getting an error message. During creation and checking I disable GoBack and my antivirus software. I do not run my computer with the firewall disabled.
    Today, I got the long awaited answer from TI's tech support:
    Uninstall Symantec software and try again.
    Did I miss something in the FAQs or elsewhere that says there is a conflict between Symantec and True Image?

Before I consider dumping software that has served me well (Symantec) to waste more time attempting to run software that has been nothing but a pain in my backside (True Image), I'd like to know if other people have trouble with Symantec and TI.
    And yes, I know, I can always reinstall if it doesn't work. But I am not a computer wiz, it took time and effort to get firewall and security settings right. And, Norton does not always uninstall without a fight. Without more than a 'give it a try and see what happens', I'm not real interested in experimenting.

So, pardon the rant and here's my question: Did many of you experience difficulties with Symantec and not being able to check an image? Did uninstalling Symantec solve your problems?

Thank you,
    kc

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kcvale,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Usually there is no problems with Acronis software and Symantec Antivirus and Firewall. However, there may be settings in these programs that makes them recognize Acronis software as virus or a danger of any other sort even though Acronis True Image doesn't perform any destructive actions. Also there may be a problem with driver installation that can be interrupted with Symantec Antivirus. That is why Acronis Support Team advised you to uninstall these products to make sure there will be no problem then.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

During my attempts to create and check an image it has taken upwards of seven hours --2 hrs to create 3 different sections and 5 hrs to check these sections. Since the sections were unable to be completely checked before getting an error message, I can only guess that a completed check would take even longer. I am uncomfortable turning off my firewall for that long. I'd appreciate another option.

kc

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, kcvale

If your not connected to the IN , [best not to be IMHO] the firewall is not in use, so where's the Prob.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

5. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

The image I'm trying to create with TI is being saved to another computer connected by network. Since we recently had an issue of someone riding our network connection I'm not comfortable disabling my firewall.

kc

6. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I can't talk about Symantec firewall but I use NAV2005 and have never had a problem either imaging or restoring with TI8. I back up a least weekly 4 partitions and as I have just changed motherboards have restored a few times in the past week :D

7. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

kc - you can download a stand-along CheckImage-program from Acronis' web site. Install it on your file server and check the image locally. Should be many times faster than checking it over the network.

8. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Max. I looked for the CheckImage-program on the Acronis site but I can't find any reference to it. Can anyone provide a link?

Thanks,
    kc

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

10. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

Thanks for the link!
    kc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.