Conflict between 2 Real-time Antispyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Someone, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

In a recent thread Escalader mentioned that if you run two real-time antispyware they could conflict.

Could anyone explain this more? I've tried searching Wilders but still couldn't find it.

Thanks

2. SirDrahcir

SirDrahcir Registered Member

I believe what you were readings was the fact that Anti Virus would conflict with each other because some of the actions of Anti-Virus Ware, can look like maleware to the opposing application.
    You can run more than one Spyware application at a time but Anti Virus ware is a different kind of beast. There are lots of different Spyware Apps that co-exist very nicely. I don't know of any Spyware that can catch more than 70%, so it's often recommend to run more than one.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Yes and No, multiple spyware realtime monitoring system running together can run in harmony or be a mess or even consider each other spyware.Even if they run well together its not for sure there will not be a conflick at a latter.You can have have as many spyware apps as you like and is generally a good choice to run more then one in hopes one will catch what the other has missed.But IMO in general Not more then one real time should be used.This for sure goes for AV,Hips,firewall, etc.If you do run more then one realtime be sure to exclude each other.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  4. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I've heard that multiple real-time antispyware could prevent each other from detecting malware, but there will be no user issues so most people won't realise it's happening. I don't know the exact reason for it though, which is what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks

5. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Id say to be on the safe side just run 1 but there are security experts such as Nick (SAS) who disagrees so...

6. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Just an AV with an AS. Not an AV with more than an AS.
    Note that some avs are particularly incompatible, Kaspersky, for example, runs well only with SAS and maybe MBAM, while others, such as NOD32 are more compatible with other security software.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Multiple security programs and security settings (like: software policies, system hardening tools, tweaks) can conflict.

In general: don't use more than one antivirus.

In general (assuming you're not very knowledgeable, and you don't want to use a full HIPS, things like Harden It, SuRun etc.) you need:

1) firewall
    2) antivirus
    3) antispyware
    4) something that gives you an indication if a certain website is (relatively) safe, like the SiteAdvisor or equivalent tool.
    5) perhaps anti-spam software, anti-phishing, parental controls and other security related things if you have a need for them.

Most, but not all, antivirus programs offer some protection against spyware, in varying degrees of effectiveness.

I would recommend to use at least two progams that provide real-time protection against spyware and adware.

Of course you'd need software that is compatible, and even then you may have to configure both programs to work together, or to work with the antivirus. I've done it myself. The key is to use a complementary approach.
    Easier said than done though. After recent changes in the security software landscape I'm not sure what I could/should recommend. Basically, I have no suggestions :(
    What would probably work is to get a good antivirus program that also deals with spyware and other malware, possibly as part of a suite, and get one good antispyware application with real-time protection. While I have no experience with these programs myself, MBAM or SAS (paid versions) are popular here.

There are many ways to deal with spyware/malware.

A good imaging system (hardware plus software) can also be a very effective tool against all sorts of malware and other computer problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.