Configuring Returnil with a free AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aigle, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am trying to install Returnil in all-time protection mode( reboot-to-retsore) with a free AV for one of my friends whose PC is infected every few months by his kids( trying myspace, facebok, free music etc).

Problem is that I want to setup a free AV with Returnil in such a way that its updates will not be lost during a reboot. I am thinking to install the AV before Returnil and will choose D partition for its progrma files folder. Returnil will cover only C, so it will not affect AV files in D partition during reboot to restore.

Now question is that will it work. It will not work with Antivir as I know Antivir also updates some reg enteries that will be lost during reboot.
    What about Avast and AVG? Is there any of them who only updates program files during update so I can accomodate it in this setup. Another one is PC tools free AV( never tried), it might not be as powerful but must be OK with Returnil.

Anyone using such a set up? I need help please. I want install and forget. I will not be able to monitor his PC.

Thanks for suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. Matern

Matern Registered Member

I use Returnil with CBOC Realtime, because each Update is a complete Update of the Database after 10 min. after the Start.
    Before I install something I use Onlinescanners or Dr.Web CureIT ( fresh Download), then first install in the box and maybe using some other tools like Prevx CSI.
    If everything is fine I make the real Install without the box.
    The Qustion is : Do you realy need a full blown Antivirus with Returnil ? Nothing could happen if the box is active.

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

@Matern: You are exposed between reboots, wich can lead to identity theft, data loss in not-protect-partition (if any), etc... but it is tempting to ditch the AV...:ninja:

@aigle: I don't know... I only use Returnil when I'm going to the dark side of the web, run exe's and if I know somebody else is going to use my laptop, so AV upgrades are almost always permanently stored.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Returnil has a scheduler, but I'm not familiar with it. It's worth looking into. It is in 'Other Settings'.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As i wrote it will be a set up for dummies, a bit of an idiot prooof security. It needs an AV, some malware can defeat Returnil. There are session based malware issues as well.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems no one is using this setup.

OK, I will try to install Avast free with Returnil in this setup and wil see how it goes.

7. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

update aigle? :D

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry, the friend who had requested for the security set up proved a bit lazy and I became more lazy in response to that.

I will sure try it anytime if he really wants me to do something but so far it,s pending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.