Configuring EMET for dummies

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cvette, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Microsoft's EMET has changed significantly since the last time I used it. It looks a lot more complicated now. Could someone simplify in laymans terms, what the program does, and how I might configure it for apps that I use?

2. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

It's not very hard. My approach is Click on Apps, then delete all entries and add manually only what I need. Firefox, IE, Office suites, pdf viewers, flash player, skype, winrar/7zip, instant messengers, wordpad, media player etc.. Think of apps that can open/execute other apps and which can connect to internet. Also I change it to Maximum security. Never had any problems.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There's absolutely NO need at all to delete any entries ever, they only apply if that program exists.

The whole point of the latest EMET is to reduce the amount of configuration the user does by having as many commonly used apps as possible already listed. In 4.1 you don't really need to change anything whatsoever.

5. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Well absolutely right. Most of the existing apps in EMET I don't use. To skim through the apps easily, I keep only what I need. Basically I use EMET & AppGuard. So I try to keep apps in both the programs same, making it easy to add new softwares in both. As I told before, that's just my approach.

6. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.