Configuration Advice

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by greenhorn113, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

I am after a bit of advice having not been able to locate a previous thread using the search function.

Basically I would like advice on configuring KIS 7, recently installed on a Xp Pro Sp2 Dell Inspiron 6400 which is also running Spyware Blaster and Superantispyware on demand and I am not currently anticipating adding any other security software which would probably be an overkill although I do like my Asquared Antimalware and if known not to conflict could install.

I have set the KIS firewall to training and scanning heuristics to detail with proactive enabled but left application and registry monitors off by default, I am not using a hardware router but using a cabled ADSL.

I am seeking a well protected system without application overkill and should add that over the last couple of years I have tried pretty much every security software both suites and standalones and it is only advice regarding KIS I am seeking although not sure if an HIPS is also required.

Finally I also surf at times using either sandboxie or Returnil.

Thanks in advance :)

2. greenhorn113

Forgot to mention also have installed LinkScannerPro

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Sounds like you got it pretty much covered.

web av: recommended
    file av: heuristics high
    firewall: training mode
    PDM: can be max or without the registry scanner
    anti spam: if you like to use. I always put the percentages a bit higher

4. greenhorn113

Cheers, is the PDM like a HIPS or is a HIPS such as Threatfire not necessary but possibly preferable.

5. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

PDM is like a HIPS.
    Threatfire is not necessary, it will only slow things down

6. greenhorn113

That was the impression I had from the alerts when installing software but wanted to be sure, thanks for confirming and the less programs the better as far as I am now concerned although didn't always think like this.

Finally would re installing a-squared anti malware be overkill or do you know if it targets different malware.

Last time I had KIS installed I ran a host of other programs but after I had to uninstall it I had been unable to re-install even with the help of Kaspersky Technical Dept who had me sending them Hijack and System info logs and had been unable to suss why it wouldn't install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.