Concerned about adobe vulnerability (clipboard) when using Firefox

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by casey6342, Sep 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casey6342

casey6342 Registered Member

Hi,

I read a few weeks back about an adobe problem regarding clipboard, and today got my email from US-Cert-Vulnerabilities which lists High, Medium, Low Vulnerabilities for the week and in medium was the Adobe one (shown below) and in one of the links given there as regards this, is the text on what is occurring (shown under that.)

US-Certs-Vulnerability List for week of 9/1 at this link.

In medium vulnerability US-Certs Summary:

Adobe -- Flash Player

This is from one of the links given which gives more detail:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1733

I wrote firefox two weeks back on this and they said is not their problem; is Adobes problem.

The article above appears to say if close browser problem clears.

I'm wondering if there is something else I can do for protection while on net?

In Firefox the add-on (Adobe) can not be edited or changed; so I can't fix anything there to my knowledge.

I also use IE7.

Are there any precautions or settings which can be done in both browsers?

And as I don't understand what is occurring; if this happens to me, does that mean a virus or something is on my system?

Thanks,
    Casey

ETA: use vista sp1 32 bit; ie7, firefox (latest) pc is dell 530 inspirion

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Adobe should provide a security update for the Flash Player vulnerability.
    I would check the Adobe site and see if they have made an update/patch available yet.

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

The exploit comes from flash ads.I wouldn't really be that worried, but, if you really are, you could use Flashblock and block all flash content. You can live without flash for a while, right?

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

5. casey6342

Thank you all very much!

I'll read the thread here on Wilders on it.

I checked adobe today; and couldn't find mention of it, tho doesn't mean it isn't there.

I'll search again.

hehe, no clue what flash is? If it is needed for youtube and video's .. how would I get thru a day? :) lol

Also, I put on the two given me by you JRViejo; ad block and noscripts.

Don't understand the no scripts at all, so was thinking of sending a pm to you JRViejo if is okay to ask. I'll read as much as can in page given me.. I've already read all on first page and still dont' know what to do, but there are links as well which might tell me.

Like right now at bottom of page here at Wilders, it says Scripts currently forbidden and shows:

It says Script 13; object 0

Didn't know what to do, message is still there and am able to post..

Again, thank you all so much!

Take care,
    Casey

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Casey, no need to PM. NoScript is one of the easiest add-ons to work with! First, here are the NoScript FAQs and some Screenshots.

Consider NoScript as a blocker (until you tell it to unblock something), and that's why it's telling you Scripts currently forbidden on this site, even though you are still able to post.

If you think the Wilders Web site is a safe one (hope you do!), click the Options button and select Allow wilderssecurity.com and the bar disappears, replaced by a blue S in a white circle. Now, every time you visit, this site is shown as trusted and that's the key, give permission only to those sites you trust. There are many other options so read the FAQs and you'll be on your way!

7. casey6342

Thank you again. Is good to know is working as a blocker and that is neat.

I tried to do a contact a store, email, and it has that blocked. When I hovered it showed that if I permitted it, all kinds of things would load on sys, so I couldn't write the store, as didn't trust.

Can't recall all what was listed; but ah, one was a widget and I thought, why a widget if just an email form.. Of course it may not have been an email form, it may have been another page, but I just left the site.

Thank you for the link as will be understandable to me, I think.

Thanks,
    Casey

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Casey, take your time digesting everything that you have been given. You are on your way to being more secure, and remember, you are always welcomed to post any other questions as you work with these features. There are great minds here, yet we all learned to crawl before we could walk! ;)

9. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Adobe is indeed a huge drama of exploits and it is not only flash.

10. casey6342

Thanks JRViejo! I been crawling long time it seems, as to me is so hard to learn this stuff but is so neat to have so many people helping.

Hi SystemJunkie! It all sounds terrifying to me! eeks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.