Concern for Paul

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by wildman, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I don't know that I have an "inner angel," though it's a nice thought.:)

I never really put the two together before, but I was different in a lot of ways after I got jump-started by defibrillator paddles around that time. Because I don't like to remember it that much, I don't consider it when I should, apparently. :doubt:

It's a fact that there are benefits from quitting cigarettes. I don't know that everyone who has smoked for a long while is still in condition to reap those benefits. For those who aren't, they become less of an incentive.

2. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D If nothing else, ones sense of taste and sense of smell gets much better. I had no idea just how bad cigarettes smell until after I quit, and to think I once put that sh*% in my mouth.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: :)

3. Terryala

Terryala Rest in Peace

Well the one thing I will agree on is the sense of smell,taste and other things improve after you stop smoking. I had stopped right after a bad Asthma attack put me DOA at the hospital 3 years ago. I stopped for a year then problems/stress put me back on them.

No matter how long you have smoked the benefits are still there when you stop also age doesn't matter. I'm 70 and know if I stop my health will improve a lot.

Like I said just offer support to who ever is trying to stop.

Grand Dad

4. CartoonBoy

CartoonBoy Registered Member

Cartoonmum said to Cartoonboy when he was younger " If you smoke, you will die " So being on the wild side, of course Cartoonboy had a puff if only to get his funny head in a spin. Then it attached to him like a leach!! A life sucking oxygen theif that held him back from what he had to offer. Now he don't smoke because he wasted so much time standing around......puffing.....puffing.....and exhaling this pointless toxin into and out from his lungs. Each smoke took about three minutes. He has now saved years because he made an intelligent decision to not smoke. It is never to late to stop. Infact every smoke you don't smoke will give you three minutes of your life straight back to you. Now that's a good deal !

In reality:

What does a smoker do when they are down to the butt?

They throw it away!!! Isn't that telling you what your body is saying?

" WHATEVER YOU DO, DON"T SMOKE " Yul Brenner. :'(

5. CarolinaMoonshine

CarolinaMoonshine Registered Member

Speaking as the wife of a very long-time smoker here. Not only the smell, but the yellowish color that tints all of the walls and the sheers, is a turn-off. And how about riding with the man in the gas chamber on wheels. That had to be the worst. I almost forgot his flipping ashes out of the car window, tossing the butt, and burning big holes in the back seat of the car when it went it instead of out.

Once upon a time, when the kids came home from school and announced to their dad that smoking was a filthy habit - he even accused me of putting them up to that.

But no matter how much WE hate the habit, we cannot tell Paul anything. It is much like weight loss.....unless the individual is extremely motivated to make the change - it just AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!

Carry on Paul!

And, of course, TELL US ALL TO MIND OUR OWN BUSINESS! :D :-*

6. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

I don't know. No offense to anyone - I know you mean well but if someone put me on "front street" (publicly displaying my personal decisions) I would probably be angry or at least annoyed - but that's just me. I can appreciate the concern but a PM would suffice (even then, I would say, "thanks for concern but it's my life. I know the dangers of tobacco as I did not just "fall off the turnip truck".

That is why I decided for myself to stop smoking several years ago. There was nothing anyone could say to make me stop. I had to make up my own mind and make my own decision to quit smoking - and I did it for myself. I am glad I did - I can finally breath deeply.

*when I made the decision, I knew I meant it because I quit "cold" and it was easy. If there is any doubt, then I would of justified, "just one" - no - my decision was final no matter what.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) At first I was offended by these remarks. Then I stopped and thought this individual really does not stop to think that smoking is a public display. I could be one of those non smoking zealots who state that smoking is not a personal decision, but rather a potential public health hazard, and smokers should be harassed. I am not one of those however, and yes I am concerned about Paul, and hope many more here are also, and let him know it, and not just by PM. I also hope we all would lend support and encouragement, if he were to try and quit.

Thanks
    wildman
    :D :cool: ;)

8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Exactly! Not wanting to do it makes it easy.

I've found myself annoyed by this thread. Some folks presume too far while offering their good, albeit unsolicited, advice - but, as lynchknot said, that's just me.

None of us displays anything publicly here but what we post, do we?:)

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think this thread has tread into someone's private life while rather uninvited. That said, I am sure nobody has been truly offended. At the same time, however, this seems truly inappropriate to me - not necessarily so at the beginning but the development of the subject has certainly become so. I think the adults here are certainly mature enough to make their own life decisions anyway, although I will certainly not dispute the friendly intentions of the thread starter. Thus, I am closing this thread and hope that our members will leave it at that. All the same, I shall submit my decision to all admin of the forum (as always) for review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.