"Computers Near Me" inoperative from boot disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by milehigh, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milehigh

milehigh Guest

I am evaluating a trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0, build 800. It seems to be a very friendly and powerful program, but I am having a problem using the boot disk on my three PC network.

From within XP Pro I can access networked computer drives, backup to them and verify or restore from them. However; when I use the boot disk to load TI 8.0, none of my networked computers shows under "Computers Near Me". In Tools, Options, all of my network settings are correct. TI 8.0 is installed on a HP laptop with XPPro, the networked desktop computer is an old Dell running Win98.. The two are linked via an Action tec DSL Modem/gateway. I have looked through the forum and have found nothing yet that changes this problem. It does not seem to be a security or permissions issue. I just cannot even see the computers.

Is the trial version supposed to be able to access other networked computers and their drives? The web site seems to say it is limited in function but the window that starts the trial version says it is fully functional for 15 days.

Thanks
    Michael

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

You should be able to see the computers under "Computers near me" icon even with trial version. Please read the following article concerning this problem

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#14

If the problem persists please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround and if it doesn't help please create the sysinfo.txt file (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for details) adn send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Guest

Hi Ilya,
    I tried the "acpi=off noapic" workaround and it solves the problem of no computers under "computers near me".

What is the proceedure for automating the loading of the "acpi=off noapic" workaround?

Thanks Michael

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

> What is the proceedure for automating the loading of the "acpi=off noapic" workaround?

I am not sure - I think if you write to Acronis support and ask nicely (and include a copy of your registration key for True Image), Acronis will send you an URL where you can download a tweaked copy of TI, a copy that has the "acpi=off noapic" hardcode into the boot loader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.