Computer will only work in safe mode

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DT89, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DT89

DT89 Registered Member

I installed ESET NOD32 on my computer (running on Windows XP), did a full system scan and the report said my system was clean. I turned off my computer and turned it back on a little while later, and it tells me Windows couldn't start successfully. I was only able to access my computer in safe mode. After that first restart Windows tried to start normally, but all I would see was my wallpaper. I was able to start Task Manager but I couldn't shut down using that because it would freeze after a few clicks. I went through this process several times until I uninstalled ESET NOD32 using safe mode.

After uninstalling ESET NOD32 in safe mode, I still only saw my wallpaper when Windows tried starting normally, but this time Task Manager stopped freezing after a few clicks. I was able to create a New Task to eventually access my desktop and programs the way they were prior to installing ESET NOD32, except my firewall didn't seem to be working. System restore on my computer was disabled so I didn't have any restore points prior to installing ESET NOD32.

I installed ESET NOD32 again to see if that might have had anything to do with this problem and after reinstalling and restarting, I get the same message about Windows being unable to start normally for the first time since I initially installed ESET NOD32.

Is this a common problem? Does anyone know how one can restore their computer the way it was prior to installation of ESET NOD32?

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have seen this occur when ESET's software is installed on a computer which has another anti-malware program—or a leftover remnant from one—still running on it. The orphaned driver, service, task or application from the previous program conflicts with the newly-installed program in some way, and strange behavior ensues.

Try running the ESET Uninstaller by following the instructions in ESET Knowledgebase Article #2289, "How do I manually uninstall my ESET security product?."

Follow the manual uninstallation instructions for the previously-installed program to remove any remnants leftover after its installation. If you need help with this or are unsure of what to do, you can contact ESET's technical support assistance for guidance, although they might have to refer you to the support department for the previous program (depending upon what was installed, state it left the system in and so forth).

After you are done, you should then be able reinstall your copy of ESET NOD32 Antivirus without problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. DT89

DT89 Registered Member

I used the ESET uninstaller and my computer still wouldn't start normally. I uninstalled and reinstalled my firewall, and now it starts normally.

Thanks for your response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.