computer theft

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by maxoblivion, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxoblivion

maxoblivion Registered Member

My laptop was stolen from my home in November and as I was installing NOD32 on my new laptop tonight, I wondered if ESET would have a record of virus definition updates to the NOD32 on the stolen computer if the thief had been using it while connected to the Internet at anytime from November until tonight. I also wondered if ESET would have a record of any location identifier that could help me to identify the thief. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I would ask ESET direct. :)

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No, tracking the computer is not possible.

4. maxoblivion

If it can't be tracked, might there still be a record of update downloads to that particular licensed product. I'm thinking ESET might want to know if there are multiple copies of NOD32 being updated with one license.

5. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Even if it was possible, in order for Eset to even respond with the correct answer (aka location), they will need to see a police report and mainly a police order (warrant) to gather data.
    It will cover their ass from data disclosure to an unauthorized person and it will also prove that you are who you say you are and not some stalker trying to track his/her EX.

But honestly I do not think they track the IP's, they might have flag rules that apply to "X amount of updates from X amount of IP's from 1 specific user name" that raises the flag and flags the account. If that continues then the account is disabled. Otherwise, the log is dropped.
    Another log might be used when an unauthorized user attempts to access the database or perform unauthorized function (that log is prob kept). Otherwise the log files of everyone querying the database every few minutes would probably overwhelm the storage (eventually).

6. maxoblivion

That's probably the case. There are vendors selling tracking services for laptops. That might be a way to go. But as for my current situation, I guess the horse has already left the barn. I would be interested to know if the crackhead that took my computer actually used it or maybe sold it to someone who did.

7. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Sorry to say you are probably out of luck unless you had Autostart software that automatically signed you into IM or SKYPE or what have you.
    In that case you could always SEND yourself a nice link that will ID the IP of the person who clicks it (hell even send them the link to your website where you can track the visitors). Otherwise you are SOL.

Computrack (LoJack for computers) only works well if your Laptop has PIM module or allows Computrack to be installed in BIOS. Otherwise the perp can just wipe the drive and the computrack partition is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.