Computer Test ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Cochise, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I have just run a well known computer System Check, the result said:-

Low Min/Max File Cache, (31MBs.)

Unusually Low Disc Performance, (Drive 'C'.)

And, Unusually Low Video Performance.

So just for arguments sake I closed my Outpost Firewall and Popup Stopper and ran the test again and all those three faults had gone!!!.

I have run the same tests three times (with and without) and each time the results have been the same.

Anyone have any idea why my Firewall and Popup should make that difference please.

My HD Monitor tells me it's in perfect order?

TVMIA, Cochise, :cool:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It seems like those apps. may be useing a lot of resources.

3. root

root Registered Member

With Win2k or XP I doubt it would be a resource problem. Could be a lot of things. Perhaps the filtering is affecting the tests. Perhaps just the time it takes for those programs to process the information thru them is enough to make the difference.
    I have Win2k and do not notice and surfing performance hit with Outpost running. As with using any security software thought, if you want it to check your running processes, there is going to be something of a hit, otherwise it would not be doing its job.

4. slikk

slikk Guest

I had the same problem, the same with Tauscan. Apparently, the filter system exercised by Outpost is "stateful packet filtering" similiar in concept to IPsec filtering. It is effective, but no more so than Zonealarm, and on a system with little memory excess, it is a drag on precious time. As for the "Popup stopper", the same applies. I tried the free product by Bayden, www.Bayden.com, "Popup popper" and it is nearly resource free. and very effective indeed.
    My Sandra scores were 35% higher on seek time when I used these products versus Agnitum. However, on a Power rig, it would be a negligible hit on seek time on your disk. You might want to check your processor resource allocation- it may be playing an underlying part in the disk performance timing. Change the memory usage to "Programs" instead of "System Services". XP-W2k
    Best wishes.
    Slikk

5. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Thanks for all the comments, I think I should have qualified the question with a little more info, sorry, ....My OS is Pent.lll, 30 gig, 550megs and 128 Ram (My Mobo will only take 128 tops). :'(

I've managed to cure two of the probs, more by good luck than anything else, but I'am still showing Unusually low Video performance (36.26?) I have reinstalled DirectX.9 and Intel Graphics Controller.

I just need some very kind person to talk to me in the simplest of Newbie-talk as to what I might do next please.

VMTIA, Cochise, :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.